No announcement yet.

t-5 or f150 five speed ford transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother put a T-5 out of an S-10 into his 57 Transtar. The 5 speed makes the truck much more highway friendly than the truck 4 speed that was in it. The S-10 version of the T5 is usually needed in a truck because the shifter is far enough forward to clear the seat. The Mustang version works well in a car and there is an adapter to bolt it to the Studebaker bell housing. Some of the Studebaker truck bell housings can be drilled for the T5.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I've done the T-5 trans, and I've done the T-10 trans. Unhappy with both of them. Stick with the 3 speed with overdrive that came behind the Stude V-8.
      Last edited by cobraman428; 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I put a GM T-5 (it's longer that the Ford and put the shifter where I wanted it) behind the correct GT Hawk bellhousing in one of my Studes in the mid-90's and never looked back. It's still working fine and running with a 4:09 TT rear and the overdrive are a delight!

Comment

If you go T-5 make sure you get the World Class, not a non World Class version. Not all T-5's are the same. Also be aware that the ratios vary with the model and originating manufacture (Ford, GM, AMC). The overdrive version of the Ford Toploader (Truck, Mustang and Granada - that I know of) also has different ratios and is noted for a large gap between 2nd and 3rd gear. Not all are the same except in overdrive concept. Some were SROD and others not. You might want to read this: http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
          X