No announcement yet.

If it works, should I fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: If it works, should I fix it?

R-1 engine with R-12 a/c............everything works, the a/c blows about 33 degrees...................so............should I replace the compressor and replace with Sanden?

..............or am I just looking for "trouble"?

IF it were me, I would wait for it to break, then upgrade it. Maybe buy the parts & refrigerant now, before the cost doubles in the next year....

Comment

You're looking for trouble! Especially with an air conditioner, if it works don't mess with it. Also, I believe it is illegal to simply release R12 into the atmosphere, it must be captured. When you change your compressor you will have to convert to R134a, which means you'll have to change the dryer, seals, etc. Count your blessings that it is working well, and leave it be.

Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Joe, I have about 24 cans of one pound R-12 on hand............purchased during the golden era of the early to mid 70's and kept in the garage...........paid about 48 cents per can on sale at Aid Auto Stores.

So there is nothing to be gained by a compressor replacement at this time?

Comment

There is nothing to be gained.
          Run your system at least once a month to keep all your seals and components lubricated.

Changing your system is not as easy as just swapping a compressor.
          R134 is less efficient than R-12, so unless you change your condenser when you change your compressor, your system will be degraded.
          And the newer refrigerant (than R134) is even less efficient.
          Save your money and spend it on ZDDP. Your engine will thank you.
          Jeff

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          <snip>

So there is nothing to be gained by a compressor replacement at this time?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, I mean only change to a modern compressor........and leave the system all R-12.
            Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Run your system at least once a month to keep all your seals and components lubricated.

R134 is less efficient than R-12, so unless you change your condenser when you change your compressor, your system will be degraded.
            Jeff

Comment

There again...I believe if you change anything, you should probably go ahead and move to an easily obtainable current refrigerant. If you go to the new style refrigerant, it would be nice to be able to increase the heat exchange rate (air flow). I've noticed that the newer cars seem to keep cool by moving a higher volume of air than the older systems. That way, 42 degree air can keep the cabin feeling cool as 33 degree air expelled at the vents at a slower rate.

Any time you open the system to change components, you also risk getting a small piece of trash in the system that could clog your expansion valve. I'm with the "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" crowd until something does break. However, once it does break...upgrade it the best you can.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                IF it were me, I would wait for it to break, then upgrade it. Maybe buy the parts & refrigerant now, before the cost doubles in the next year....
                R-134 is actually a DOWNGRADE, but a thining ozone layer is even a bigger downgrade!

Comment

There is a direct replacement for r12, called hotshot. No changes to the system are needed. We charged our old Mack tractors with it last summer, and they are still blowing COLD air.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Way back when, I was asking a vendor if it would be worth the exspence of making an upgrade to what he was doing.

That course old bird looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Do you know how to keep an erection?".

I looked back at him and shrugged my shoulders.

He leaned in to me and said, "Don't screw with it kid!".

Okay, I did tone down the words but I'm sure your imagination went into "auto-correct" mode anyway.

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Now.....THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!

Comment

(Wow... 2 years later..)

Same answer.
                        Can you even buy a 'modern' R-12 automotive compressor?
                        Can you successfully run an R-134 compressor on R-12?
                        Would a 'new' R-12 compressor have any upgrades to make it better than a working older R-12 compressor?
                        I don't know those answers. (but they are good questions to ask)..
                        I think almost everything available today would require a conversion to R-134.
                        Converting to R-134 (doing it properly) would require a condensor change for proper sizing.
                        (see all the other threads and post's on successful R-134 conversions).
                        I have done several, and have personally experienced the gamut of results.
                        The best answer I can give you is what was originally replied.
                        Keep your R-12 system. Run it regularly, just to keep all the system juices flowing, and all the seals limbered up.
                        Get yourself a few cans of R-12 and have your system checked by a qualified A/C guy.
                        If your system needs R-12, he can add the proper amount (you can over do it, too).
                        If it needs re-charging, he can properly remover the R-12, and boil the moisture out of your system with his vacuum pump equipment, and replace the R-12 and add the proper amount of compressor lube.
                        Yes, a lot of this can be done at home.
                        But.. The idea is to do it properly. Today, there are even legal implications to doing it improperly.
                        And.....
                        I think it would be a source of pride to brag on your 50+ year old Stude and be able to say:
                        "Yeah, it still has the R-12 setup......"
                        Food for thought.
                        Jeff

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                        Jeff, I mean only change to a modern compressor........and leave the system all R-12.
                        Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff..........last year I added one can of R-12 due to warm output, this after over ten years with no freon loss. My thoughts only developed due to well meaning fellow gear heads telling me to change to a small Sanden compressor as it would be less stain on the engine and be more efficient. I am not going to change just to change, I only thought maybe it would be "better" as less load would be placed upon the engine. BTW, I still have one full case of R-12 one pound cans in the garage.......purchased over 35 years ago.......on sale. Also back in 2002 I attended the national in South Bend........I had my Merc Grand Marquis out there.......the a/c crapped out and I was forced to "see" the thieves at Jordan Ford in Mishawocker(sp) anyway after leaving my bank account there my R-12 became my 134.......and the fools never changed the hoses so every summer I have to add 134 due to leakage...........and they only changed the receiver/dryer and compressor..........nothing else!:-(
                          Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          (Wow... 2 years later..)

Same answer.
                          Can you even buy a 'modern' R-12 automotive compressor?
                          Can you successfully run an R-134 compressor on R-12?
                          Would a 'new' R-12 compressor have any upgrades to make it better than a working older R-12 compressor?
                          I don't know those answers. (but they are good questions to ask)..
                          I think almost everything available today would require a conversion to R-134.
                          Converting to R-134 (doing it properly) would require a condensor change for proper sizing.
                          (see all the other threads and post's on successful R-134 conversions).
                          I have done several, and have personally experienced the gamut of results.
                          The best answer I can give you is what was originally replied.
                          Keep your R-12 system. Run it regularly, just to keep all the system juices flowing, and all the seals limbered up.
                          Get yourself a few cans of R-12 and have your system checked by a qualified A/C guy.
                          If your system needs R-12, he can add the proper amount (you can over do it, too).
                          If it needs re-charging, he can properly remover the R-12, and boil the moisture out of your system with his vacuum pump equipment, and replace the R-12 and add the proper amount of compressor lube.
                          Yes, a lot of this can be done at home.
                          But.. The idea is to do it properly. Today, there are even legal implications to doing it improperly.
                          And.....
                          I think it would be a source of pride to brag on your 50+ year old Stude and be able to say:
                          "Yeah, it still has the R-12 setup......"
                          Food for thought.
                          Jeff

Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff
                          Last edited by Hawklover; 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X