How to remove oil-fill tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How to remove oil-fill tube

1955 Champion, Victory Six. I have a weeping freeze plug that is behind the oil-fill tube. It would be an easy fix if I knew the secret of how to get that oil-fill tube out without destroying it. Help! How do I get this darned thing out?

Have not done this myself.......but have heard of people that put a tight fitting dowel down into the top of the fill tube, then put a couple of worm-drive stainless clamps around the outside of the tube (in the area where the dowel is inserted). Arrange the clamps so the worm drive areas are staggered, then use a hammer to tap upward on the worm drives.

Again, never did it myself (the flathead six engines I've done have been fully disassembled, so the tube got tapped out from the bottom (from inside the crankcase).
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Often you can grab the top end of the tube and wiggle it, while pulling upwards on it. Just don't bend it.

It's just a press fit into the block. It may help to put some penetrating oil on the tube where it enters the block.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Some (like mine) have a wire retainer that then is attached to one of the oil pan bolts. It could be missed if the engine is caked with old oil and dirt

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Have not done this myself.......but have heard of people that put a tight fitting dowel down into the top of the fill tube, then put a couple of worm-drive stainless clamps around the outside of the tube (in the area where the dowel is inserted). Arrange the clamps so the worm drive areas are staggered, then use a hammer to tap upward on the worm drives.

Again, never did it myself (the flathead six engines I've done have been fully disassembled, so the tube got tapped out from the bottom (from inside the crankcase).
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

I ended up having to tap mine out from underneath. If you REALLY don't want to mess with it get an expanding rubber plug (like this). You can put that in behind the fill tube.
          This is one of the few things about the Champion engine that just seems pointlessly stupid. The location for the tube could have been moved less than two inches in either direction and the entire problem would have been avoided.

Nathan

Comment

My bad, I was thinking of the later dip stick tubes, not the oil fill tube.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

I just took a slide hammer and pair of Vice-Grips.
              Clamped them together onto the tube opening up top, and used the slide hammer to pop the tube out.
              Used a chunk of 2x4 ad a dead blow block to tap it back in later on.
              Didn't dent anything, or leave any marks on it.
              Did it with the hood on, too (2R10)....
              Took about 2 minutes.
              HTIH
              Jeff

Originally posted by sactorandy View Post
              1955 Champion, Victory Six. I have a weeping freeze plug that is behind the oil-fill tube. It would be an easy fix if I knew the secret of how to get that oil-fill tube out without destroying it. Help! How do I get this darned thing out?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                My bad, I was thinking of the later dip stick tubes, not the oil fill tube.
                Thanks for the info anyhow. I was wondering for a long time where this retainer was attached. I thought it was at the back of the starter.
                sigpic

Comment

Finally got it out.

Thanks guys. I finally got that tube out. The secret was a combination of penetrating oil and prying and twisting. I cleaned the area good with lacquer thinner and soaked it with penetrating oil for two days. Then I pried it from the block side with a crow bar. It moved just a little. I then used vise grips on the lower end to twist it back and forth. After a half hour of that it finally gave up and slipped out. there are a couple of scratches that I will file out and after paint it will be good as new.

Comment

Good work! Now be careful not to let water run into the hole when you pull the core plugs. Just be glad it is not the plug on the back of the block. I still have nightmares about that one.
                    Nathan

Comment

Working...
                    X