X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    I am not replacing the torque converter so does that mean I do not have to replace the flex plate? It is such a flimsy piece and considering the drivetrain is out I should just replace it for good measure.
    Definitely replace it. It's cheap insurance to pulling the engine/transmission or supporting the engine to remove the belhousing to replace a fatigued and cracked flex plate. Somethings you don't want to do twice.

Allen

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    I am not replacing the torque converter so does that mean I do not have to replace the flex plate? It is such a flimsy piece and considering the drivetrain is out I should just replace it for good measure.

Leave a comment:

• 64V19816
    replied
    The hot rod guy who done mine years ago looked at the flex plate reinforcement piece, laughed, and made a duplicate out of some stainless steel alloy

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    I cannot remember. I pulled the motor a couple of years ago and don't remember anything like the reinforcement piece which I think is a ring. Need to get one and I guess a new flex plate. Was the reinforcement a factory equipped item? My car is a very original car that was parked in '72.
    Yes there is a flex plate reinforcement ring that goes on top of the flex plate (factory installed). This simply adds stability to the flex plate so that torque limits metal fatigue of the flex plate near the bolts that attach the flex plate to the crank. The ring is about 3" diameter and about 3/4" wide with 6 bolt holes in it. You need this ring for your installation.

It's always a very good idea to purchase a new flex plate when installing a new torque converter or transmission rebuild. You would not happen to need a rebuilt torque converter would you? I acquired a rebuilt FT (standard) not HD torque converter when I purchased a rebuilt powershift transmission last year. It's taking up room in my shop and I will never use it in one of my cars.

Allen

Allen

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    Allen, thanks for the detailed directions. Just what I need.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    I cannot remember. I pulled the motor a couple of years ago and don't remember anything like the reinforcement piece which I think is a ring. Need to get one and I guess a new flex plate. Was the reinforcement a factory equipped item? My car is a very original car that was parked in '72.

Leave a comment:

• 64V19816
    replied
    Do you have the flex plate reinforcement piece?

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Paul go to Bob Johnstone's Avanti site. There is a pictorial of aligning the Bell Housing that I did years ago. This procedure is only necessary if you are changing one of the original mated bellhousing or engine block.

If you are changing the flex plate and the front seal of the transmission and don't have access to the special tool. Install the flex plate to the crank then leave the bolts "sort of loose" on the torque converter, install the transmission with the pump drive clocked to the torque convertor. Now you tighten the torque convertor bolts but turn over the engine by the crank bolt as you snug up the bolts on the torque convertor. This will align the torque convertor to the flex plate and transmission.

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    Well, I haven't removed the torque converter, but I have always heard it is not good to let it hang in the trans with nothing attached to it as this caused the front seal to leak after assembly. So I was planning on putting in a new front seal. From the replies here it looks like I have to align the torque converter only.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    I just finished converting my brothers 63 from a 4 speed to the powershift. I aligned the bellhousing to the engine as it was from a different car. Then I rented the J tool from Jon Meyer to align the torque converter on the flex plate. The tolerance is + or - .004 ", and I wasn't comfortable trying to do it by turning the engine over twice and the tightening the converter bolts. It was easy to use the gauge from Jon, and the outcome was perfect. Jon is great to deal with, and honest as the day is long.Hope this helps,B.V.

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    I would have thought if you are mating the bellhousing back to the original block then all is ok, however everytime you pull the torque converter out you need to re align it. There is a few descriptions on the forum of re alignment methods without the special tool. Search under torque converter alignment.
    pb

Leave a comment:

• '63 Avanti Auto Trans/Bell Housing Alignment

I have searched through some of the old threads on aligning the bell housing to the engine to prevent flex plate failure and things are still unclear.

I removed my engine and left he trans in the car. Since I am mating the same engine to the same trans, do I need to align it with the dial indicator and special tool? If yes, does anybody rent this tool?
Working...
X