Head Identification Quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Head Identification Quandary

Several years ago, I acquired an R2 Avanti that had incorrect heads installed. During restoration they were replaced with a pair of new 1557582's. I just pulled the heads off the shelf to examine and realized that I had forgotten that the casting numbers had been ground off and a 1557581 stamped in it's place. The left bank head is the stock thickness, while the right head was cut 0.016". The question is "what were the casting nos. and why would the heads be re-indentified". Has anyone seen this or can offer a reason why this would be done?

The 582s of course were the large chamber truck/R2 chambers. IIRC, the 581s were '63-64 heads.

As far as grinding off the numbers, I've seen one or two heads where the cast-in numbers didn't cast cleanly and thus not readable. They were ground off and stamped with the correct number. Not common, but not unknown either. That both heads should be thus affected is the unusual part. Could have been late production, numbering molds wearing out and no money to replace them.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack. When I get a chance, I'll cc them to verify the 581 part. I have no idea why the PO would have replaced the 582's with these heads on an R2. I can't decipher the casting date, but they seem to be separated by a significant time interval. The dates are "1 29 T" and "11 11 S".

Comment

Working...
      X