Exhaust routing under a Lark type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Exhaust routing under a Lark type

How are the exhaust connector pipes routed under a Lark Type? I know they go under the tranny crossmember on a 1965-66 car but do they go over or under the parking brake cables? I think under but have no pics handy to verify.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I just had mine done... routing is under the x-member, under the brake cables, over the axle and parallel to the gas tank. StudeRich will tell you that OEM outlets tuck up slightly before the bumper prior to being radiused downward

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

THANKS!

I tried my hand at pipe bending today at work and made it as far as the mufflers; an experienced tech welded everything up and come tomorrow we're going to make up/install the tailpipes. Pipes hang down below the frame but I was referencing off the Parks Pipes supplied Avanti headpipes.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Except factory bent pipes go OVER the emergency brake cables, not under.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          Bummer. Too late to change it now. But I'll admit I went CASO doing the exhaust. Down the road I may have a 'proper' system put on. What DID throw me was how low the headpipes dumped so I referenced them when I built the intermediate part. Bummer since my 1959-64 factory shop manual had no pics of any Stude exhaust.

Comment

Nearly every stude I see has fitment problems in regards to the emergency brake cable on the passenger side hitting the exh pipe.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
              Bummer since my 1959-64 factory shop manual had no pics of any Stude exhaust.
              Next time use the Chassis Parts Catalog.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                Nearly every stude I see has fitment problems in regards to the emergency brake cable on the passenger side hitting the exh pipe.
                IIRC, there was a change in the exhaust pipes in 1964, because of the parking brake cable change. This was related to the step-on brake rather than the previous pull handle type. When I bought duals for my '64 Daytona, Don Simmons showed me the difference, which involved a flattened area on the pipe, where the pipe and cable cross. I guess that most other aftermarket pipes omit this flat, and the cable hits the pipe. Don's are true to the original.
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Next time use the Chassis Parts Catalog.
                  In all fairness: every FSM out there for Brand Xers I've seen has exhaust routing diagrams..............I figured the Stude ones would follow suit.
                  Last edited by 1962larksedan; 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Here is a scan of the chassis parts catalog. Lark is the top one...

I don't think it is much help. Fairly generic (same picture for ALL 59-64 Larks even though there were many differences) and doesn't show the relationship of the exhaust to other under chassis components. PLUS, if you took it as gospel, the exhaust tips come straight out the rear instead of the downturn that was stock.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

@Dick: your pic does clearly show the connector pipes going over the parking brake cables. Next time maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

(
                        In the schematic, pipe 0403-3 is specified for a convertible and sliding roof wagon. It LOOKS from this like that in these two models, the exhaust pipe goes UNDER the rear axle. Is my assumption correct? If not, what is the purpose of this special pipe?
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

This diagram is very generic - even more so for convertibles and sliding roof wagons - the frames with the X member. The "Rear Exhaust Pipes" (0401-1-3 and -4) for convertibles and sliding roof wagons are much shorter than the ones shown, and the mufflers actually fit inside the X member, much farther forward than on other models. The 0403-3, the "Outlet Extension Pipe" then fits between the muffler and the normal location for the connection to the tail pipe, or "Outlet Pipe" in Studebaker language.

Comment

This diagram is very generic - even more so for convertibles and sliding roof wagons - the frames with the X member. The "Rear Exhaust Pipes" (0401-1-3 and -4) for convertibles and sliding roof wagons are much shorter than the ones shown, and the mufflers actually fit inside the X member, much farther forward than on other models. The 0403-3, the "Outlet Extension Pipe" then fits between the muffler and the normal location for the connection to the tail pipe, or "Outlet Pipe" in Studebaker language.
                            Thanks, Jerry!
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X