OHV six on a 48 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: OHV six on a 48 champion

Dear sirs. I wonder if is it an easy work to put a 6 OHV from a 1961 Lark in a 1948 Champion?

Thanks in advance

I remember, vaguely, helping to do a similar swap in the early 1970s. I think that the biggest problem was a firewall clearance issue. A little "adjustment" to the firewall solved the problem. Remember that Studebaker changed the shape of the firewall for 1961.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I remember, vaguely, helping to do a similar swap in the early 1970s. I think that the biggest problem was a firewall clearance issue. A little "adjustment" to the firewall solved the problem. Remember that Studebaker changed the shape of the firewall for 1961.
      Thanks Gary. If I buy that 48 I would not like to "adjust" the firewall, even when I have a apare Lark OHV engine .

Comment

Can'nt comment on 48,but had put a ohv 6 in a 55 sedan and do'nt remember having to mess with the firewall.
        Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My '48 has a 53 flat head engine. All I had to do was bolt up the '48 oil pan with the forward oil sump. The '48 distributor is in the engine.

From what I have observed, the OHV engines look very similar from the top of the block to the oil pan as the flat head engines. I don't know if the '48 oil pan would fit the OHV engine, but if it will...I would say go for it. I have seen a OHV in a '50 and it looked like it bolted right in.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            My '48 has a 53 flat head engine. All I had to do was bolt up the '48 oil pan with the forward oil sump. The '48 distributor is in the engine.

From what I have observed, the OHV engines look very similar from the top of the block to the oil pan as the flat head engines. I don't know if the '48 oil pan would fit the OHV engine, but if it will...I would say go for it. I have seen a OHV in a '50 and it looked like it bolted right in.
            The OHV engines have a lot more top end to the engine vs. a flathead.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It would be easy to measure the height difference of the flathead vs. the OHV-6 to see if it would interfere with the firewall. What will make this a little tricky is the fact that a 1955-64 oil pan will not fit on a 1954 and earlier champ 6 (the main bearings were enlarged in '55 so the pan had to be changed). You may have to do some cutting/welding on the two oil pans to make one that will work.

Joe
              Last edited by irish; 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM.
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

If this has been done, I wasn't paying attention (what's new)...but if someone out there has an overhead valve and a flat head...it would be a fun exercise to see both mounted on stands and photographed side by side for a comparison.

Since I have never owned a OHV, I have not studied one thoroughly. However, the ones I have seen look like they could have been cast from a re-worked and re-tooled flathead casting mold. I know that the OHV has a taller height (common sense), but the early post war Studes have good under-hood room. Nevertheless, the 53's forward were ahead of their time for a tight engine compartment. (have we heard that before?)But, I have seen OHV's in earlier cars that did not look like serious mods were made to accomodate them.

The '53 bolted to my '48 so easy...it was at least ten years later until I discovered that it was actually a '53 engine I had bought and installed. Even if Ricardo manages to fit the OHV under the hood, the need to fabricate a special oil pan might be the deal killer.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ohv 6

One of our members put an OHV 6 in a '53 Champion coupe and there were no clearance issues that caused him to mess with any sheet metal. 'Course I realize that information may have little value when comparing to a '48!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

I helped install a '63 OHV six in a '55 champion coupe. It's been a while, but I remember a struggle with the throttle linkage to get it right. No hood clearance issues.

Comment

My first car was a 59 Lark that I replaced the flathead with a later OHV 6. The rear of the valve cover was very close to the cowl. I'm not sure but I seem to recall trying to do a valve adjustment but couldnt get the valve cover off due to the lack of clearance. If anyone knows of (or knew of) a 59 Lark deluxe 4 door automatic in Seamist green with an OHV 6 in it let me know! It may even have the c.b. call letters on the rear body panel KMD 6449!! Last time I saw it in Hopelawn, New Jersey.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                        My first car was a 59 Lark that I replaced the flathead with a later OHV 6. The rear of the valve cover was very close to the cowl. I'm not sure but I seem to recall trying to do a valve adjustment but couldnt get the valve cover off due to the lack of clearance. If anyone knows of (or knew of) a 59 Lark deluxe 4 door automatic in Seamist green with an OHV 6 in it let me know! It may even have the c.b. call letters on the rear body panel KMD 6449!! Last time I saw it in Hopelawn, New Jersey.
                        This is what I referred to when I talked about firewall clearance. The engine MAY physically fit, but you can not lift the rocker arm cover off without a little "adjustment" to the firewall. (Who wants to pull an engine, even part way, to do a valve adjustment, seal replacement, etc.?)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I remember seeing a 1950 about 15 years ago that had an OHV installed by the dealer in the early 60s.

Nice installation.

Comment

Working...
                          X