'66 283 V8, upper radiator hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: '66 283 V8, upper radiator hose

Decided to have the radiator in my newly-purchased '66 Daytona V8 flushed and refilled, and had new S.I. upper and lower hoses put on. The shop asked me to turn the heat on inside the car and let them know when I felt heat. I pulled the lever down to heat, but never did feel heat inside the car. I told them, "the gauge is at the half-way mark" and they said OK (they were attempting to get any air bubbles out of the car). They noted that the upper hose was shorter than what came off the car, noting that what had been on the car had been cut to fit. They showed me that the new hose was only about 1/2 inch away from the fan belt, but they thought that'd be OK. Less than fifteen miles later, the upper hose was collapsed (opening the cap took care of that), and now there's a slice (although not through) in the bottom of the hose from the fan belt.

Looked to buy a new upper hose from Summit Racing tonight, and only cut-to-fit hoses are sold for this application. (A 283 Chevy? Come on!)

Anybody know where a perfect-fit hose for these cars can be bought, other than S.I.? I might add that the one from there looked and felt rather old to me (although not an expert).

Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bill: where is the upper hose connection located on your radiator? Why I wonder is I'm dropping a SBC into my 1962 Lark and the upper one is on the passenger side. Also if you can find a 'popular' P/N for both of the rad hoses; me and my Lark will thank you immensely. I would prefer not have to run those universal spiral groove hoses.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      Decided to have the radiator in my newly-purchased '66 Daytona V8 flushed and refilled, and had new S.I. upper and lower hoses put on. The shop asked me to turn the heat on inside the car and let them know when I felt heat. I pulled the lever down to heat, but never did feel heat inside the car. I told them, "the gauge is at the half-way mark" and they said OK (they were attempting to get any air bubbles out of the car). They noted that the upper hose was shorter than what came off the car, noting that what had been on the car had been cut to fit. They showed me that the new hose was only about 1/2 inch away from the fan belt, but they thought that'd be OK. Less than fifteen miles later, the upper hose was collapsed (opening the cap took care of that), and now there's a slice (although not through) in the bottom of the hose from the fan belt.

Looked to buy a new upper hose from Summit Racing tonight, and only cut-to-fit hoses are sold for this application. (A 283 Chevy? Come on!)

Anybody know where a perfect-fit hose for these cars can be bought, other than S.I.? I might add that the one from there looked and felt rather old to me (although not an expert).

Thanks.
      Bill

You probably already know this but my Flaps lets me walk around the back room where the hoses are. Just bend a heavy piece of mild steel wire (coat hanger) from the center of the radiator inlet to the center of the thermostat outlet routing it the way you want it to go. Match it up. If the hose ends are too big, Gates makes adapters that slide in and bond to the hose. Looks OEM.

In case all else fails, that's how I find my hoses if I need it to look OEM.

Good Luck, Bob

Comment

good luck

Rumor has it, there is no hose that fits like the original. A new hose has never been available and you may have a old NOS hose on there.

You can change the water outlet and find a hose that works for the upper, but one like the original will be a hard find.

The lower hose on 65's is notorious for rubbing the pulley. The fix is carefull twisting and aligning until it fits. Zip ties and an aluminum sheet ensure it will not rub.

I have an original hose I have been saving- I never have found a match for it and we have almost every hose for 1947-64 Studebakers in stock!

Good luck, and let us know if anyone finds something.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          Bill: where is the upper hose connection located on your radiator? Why I wonder is I'm dropping a SBC into my 1962 Lark and the upper one is on the passenger side. Also if you can find a 'popular' P/N for both of the rad hoses; me and my Lark will thank you immensely. I would prefer not have to run those universal spiral groove hoses.
          On my '66, the upper hose connection on the radiator is on the driver's side of the car. I'll probably try calling NAPA today for a fit, but I'm guessing if Summit Racing wouldn't carry one, NAPA might not either. This is mind-blowing to me, for a 283 Chevy.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill: 'Sorry you are having trouble with this.

Bob Streu (sweetolbob up top) really has the answer to this, but it requires some personal digging and matching. If either Bob or I was at your place (or any other of several guys here on the forum, I'm confident), we'd just take the remains of your existing hose(s) and go see our personal contacts at FLAPS (Bob S.) or the Brownsburg IN NAPA (me) and they would let us behind the counter where we could match up something that would likely be dead-on perfect, from the racks of molded radiator hoses.

Some trimming might be required (probably would be, actually) from one end or the other, but we'd wind up with upper and lower hoses that looked like exactly what the car would have been equipped with "in the day."

I say this because there has been such a proliferation of molded radiator hoses in the last 25-30 years that the assortment of molded hoses today is literally infinitesimal, and something would surely fit well with a little trimming.

The only 1965-1966 Studebaker I ever owned was a 1966 Commander V8 4-door used as a beater maybe 30 years ago and long gone, so I cannot go out to my storage building and pull off a couple hoses from a 1965-1966 V8 car and go do the on-site research for you, or I'd be glad to do so.

So there's the answer, unless someone here will step up and give you a current NAPA (or other manufacturer) number for a specific molded hose and tell you how much (if anything) to trim off one end.

'Sorry. As you see, we have the answer, but it requires having the car (or equivalent) on site for research. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks.
              From Bob Johnstone's tech site-
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                From Bob Johnstone's tech site-
                http://www.studebaker-info.org/radhos.html
                Thanks, a good site to have handy. No mention of Chevybaker upper hoses there, though.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

NAPA says only flex hose per their online records; I also asked for a '66 Chevy II 283 and they had two--one for AC, one not. Hard to believe there'd be much difference between a Chevy II and a '66 Stude with the same engine, but who knows?
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm getting ready to leave for work as I'm reading this post, but I have replaced both radiator hoses at least twice.IIRC I used Rock Auto for one set.For the other set I went to my FLAPS and told them I needed them for a '66 Nova SS with a 327.The counterman lit up like a Christmas tree and wanted to know more about my "Nova".Both hoses fit perfectly.I never experienced any clearance issues with the upper hose, but the fan belt gouged two of my lower hoses.Didn't leak, but I didn't like how it looked.I finally found a non-CASO solution for this.Went to Home Depot where the washer/dryer hoses were and found a 2"-1 1/2" coupler with a worm gear clamp molded on each side.Just slid it over the affected area, tightened down on the clamps, and presto! It cost me $7.49.Oh, for the hoses, you may want to try Advance Auto as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                      I never experienced any clearance issues with the upper hose, but the fan belt gouged two of my lower hoses.
                      I've had that same experience. As to your 'fix'- my car had something along those lines already under her hood when I got her 20 years ago- and she still does to this day- many many new hoses later...

I just can't see how the belt can be rubbing the upper hose!!!

Bill- I'm thinking that if your upper hose is indeed getting hit by the belt- you've got something really goofy going on under your hood. I'll get a picture of mine and post it here later today so you can see what she has looked like since she was built back in January 1965.
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        I've had that same experience. As to your 'fix'- my car had something along those lines already under her hood when I got her 20 years ago- and she still does to this day- many many new hoses later...

I just can't see how the belt can be rubbing the upper hose!!!

Bill- I'm thinking that if your upper hose is indeed getting hit by the belt- you've got something really goofy going on under your hood. I'll get a picture of mine and post it here later today so you can see what she has looked like since she was built back in January 1965.
                        Thanks guys. My car has A/C, for what it's worth.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

now I get it...

Thanks guys. My car has A/C, for what it's worth.
                          That piece of info is worth A TON~
                          mine does NOT have A/C...

Ya had me goin' for awhile there!!!

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Perhaps this is why my 66 doesnt have belts for the a/c & power steering now!
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

This won't help Bill now that we know he's got A/C, but it might help Pierce out a bit~

Let me know if you need any others- I plan to be under her in the next day or two for some planned maintanance...

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment