No announcement yet.

Avanti Voltage Regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the information. I do have working power windows, believe it or not. No electrical add-ons. I do have the T-bow electronic Mallory distributor and HD coil.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Ed...

Since your R2 won't have a/c and, unless you add equipment that has significant electrical draw, you may not have any problems whatsoever. If you have power windows, that's only an issue for a few seconds at a time. You might think about keeping that alternator as long as it works and concentrate on more necessary items as you complete your car.

Maybe you might find a 40 amp down the road (think Ebay) and then pick it up. If not, consider an upgrade to a GM/Mopar/Toyota alternator once everything else is completed.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

the issue of 35 v 40 amp only comes into play at idle.......if it was night and if the a/c was on and if the car was stopped at a light then yes the ammeter would most likely indicate into the negative side of the meter.......but once under way it would go positive..........if your car is daylight driven and does not have a/c i see nothing wrong with a 35 amp alt.........

Comment

I had mine rebuilt a year or so by Roberts and Son on Columbus Ave in Garfield NJ. I forget what they charged but it was reasonable and it kept the original on the car.

Comment

Love that Packard Hawk!

Originally posted by bonehead007 View Post
          I had mine rebuilt a year or so by Roberts and Son on Columbus Ave in Garfield NJ. I forget what they charged but it was reasonable and it kept the original on the car.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

No A/C. I did remember it has an electric choke though.... also power windows and will very likely be driven at night.

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
            the issue of 35 v 40 amp only comes into play at idle.......if it was night and if the a/c was on and if the car was stopped at a light then yes the ammeter would most likely indicate into the negative side of the meter.......but once under way it would go positive..........if your car is daylight driven and does not have a/c i see nothing wrong with a 35 amp alt.........
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

Nothing here, no part at the linc?
              Originally posted by JDP View Post
              The correct Avanti regulators are $80.00

http://www.thefind.com/query.php?que...estolite+8-223

Comment

A 40 amp alternator was standard on '63/64 Lark-types (in place of the standard 35 amp) when they were equipped with an Avanti engine. However, one could still order the 35 amp, even with the Avanti engine....I've found a production order or two where this was actually done by the factory. The Plain Brown Wrapper has a 35 amp alternator because it is lighter and has a lighter rotor. IIRC, the difference in weight between the 35 and 40 amp is just over three lbs....maybe one of you can check that.

'Looking for every little bit when it comes to acceleration!

George
                george krem

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                  Nothing here, no part at the linc?
                  That link is in a post that is almost a year old.............
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

And? The information should still be listed if relevant, no?
                    Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    That link is in a post that is almost a year old.............

Comment

Working...
                    X