No announcement yet.

Window Regulator Disassembly and Glass Removal - 1961 Lark 4 door Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Window Regulator Disassembly and Glass Removal - 1961 Lark 4 door Wagon

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding the removal of a window regulator and door glass on my wagon. I've gone through the manual and am trying to see what the estimated time is for the removal of the interior panel, cranks, arm rest, window regulator and glass. For that matter, what is a good estimate on the time needed for the reassembly of these components? Does anyone have a copy of a Hollander Classic Interchange Manual from the 1960s which lists time estimates for this sort of job? Having taken a window assembly out once on my 55 Commander K-Body, I am currently trying to make sense of a body shop's hours for labor and am bewildered as to how it took 2 hours for disassembly and another 2 for reassembly, and another 2 for the "adjustment" of the spring on one of the regulators for my 61 Lark.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Best,
    Albert

I sense that you are unhappy with the amount charged by a body shop for that operation. I have a number of Hollander's Interchange Manuals (which do not include labor time estimates), but not the Classic Manual you mentioned. As an amateur, I usually count on spending days, not hours, of labor every time I work inside the door of an old vehicle. Having done quite a few such jobs (not just on Studebakers), I have noticed that there is usually a "trick" or some un-obvious special procedure that makes the job possible. Such procedures are explained in the relevant shop manual, but might not otherwise be obvious.. A 1961 Stude flat rate and time guide might have the data you're looking for -- but those are only guides, intended for billing the time of experienced shop personnel.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Those times don't seem excessive. First off this is a 60 year old car so things may be stuck, rusted or broken. And for assembly adjustments are needed to make it work smoothly. And in defense of the technician it is very likely he has never seen that type of mechanism before because it's been about 30 years since anyone used it, including the door card.

Comment

Working...
      X