Avanti vent window track reline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti vent window track reline

Has anyone used the Velcro replacement trick on their vent window track, where the door window slides?

How did it work?

How did it last?

Tips?

Thanks, as I am doing both door window rehab.

George Rohrbach

Click image for larger version

Name:	passvent3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2022451

Hi George,

I did that on ONE car years ago, car is long gone. Haven't done another since new channels are available.

Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by Georger View Post
      Has anyone used the Velcro replacement trick on their vent window track, where the door window slides?

How did it work?

How did it last?

Tips?

Thanks, as I am doing both door window rehab.

George Rohrbach

Click image for larger version

Name:	passvent3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2022451
      George since you are close with those at WCD, why not just let them effectuate this for you???

Comment

I enjoy working through the various challenges, that this hobby keeps throwing my way.
        Hopefully, someone who has done this technique before, will talk about their results, and lesions learned.
        Plus, I hate to send anything out.
        George Rohrbach

Comment

I installed reproduction tracks on mine last year, not an easy job and they are not as well made as the originals.

Comment

If it works do not fix it.

Comment

Fifty years ago I was young and foolish, the front window felts were worn, so I decided to replace with new, yes in time I was able to effectuate the deed.............never ever again. That job was a ROYAL PITA:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Georger View Post
                I enjoy working through the various challenges, that this hobby keeps throwing my way.
                Hopefully, someone who has done this technique before, will talk about their results, and lesions learned.
                Plus, I hate to send anything out.
                George Rohrbach
                I do not have first hand experience, but a friend of mine has done several '57 Fords. He explained to me that he cut and glued in three separate pieces. Glued in the back piece first. Cut the side pieces wider than what is required and after installation, trimmed them with a razor blade.Per my friend, he did this years ago, and they are still fine today.
                Hope this helps.
                John

Comment

I think that I will give it a try. Thanks for your help!
                  George Rohrbach

Comment

I heard of it being done. I think it was mentioned on the Avanti forum a while back. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

You need a nice clean surface and the heavy duty outdoor Velco tape. I've tried it and --so far-- it seems to hold up OK..

Comment

Although I already had regular Velcro for the upcoming job, yesterday instead, I ordered the heavy-duty outdoor version!

Jeff, thanks for that tip.

As a side note, on the rest of the mechanism. I am just finishing up white lithium grease to all the wear spots, 3 new rollers, and using a hypodermic needle to get grease in all the pivots. Also, new motor gear. I can't believe all the pieces that the old one was in (plastic shards).

This is all being done on an '85, yours may have a different motor, depending on the year of the Avanti. But the rest of the mechanism seems to have remained the same over the years.

Comment

The passenger side is done. It came out very nice, and window slides easily.

The old adhesive was terrible to remove. Combination of scraping, sanding, abrasive pad, (all the while being careful not to wreck the stainless-steel beads). Also, every chemical that I own.

By the way, none of the chemicals did much at all. 2 different adhesive removers didn't touch it.

George Rohrbach

Comment

Hi George. I have done this with 2 Avanti with good success.
                            Didn't have to drill out the channel rivets, etc. Or spend $200 on new channels.
                            Cost me $2.00 for velcro that worked great!
                            Took some time to clean out old felt and needed a popsicle stick, or other tool to get velcro tucked into edges quickly with adhesive, then trim edge.
                            Will probably outlast any old felt!
                            Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                            Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Working...
                            X