Install 12V neg ground AC unit in a 6V pos ground Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Install 12V neg ground AC unit in a 6V pos ground Studebaker

Trying to preplan an AC install in stock 1955 Commander V8, 6v pos grnd, generator, new batt.
    Foreseen at this time -
    1 Sanden 510 compressor on VinAir mount with added bottom PS pulley.
    2 Underdash evap unit from the late 1950's 12v neg ground.
    3 Condenser of some sort mounted in front of existing stock radiator?
    4 Dryer/filter mounted somewhere in the lines?
    5 Converter to 12volts to allow operation of AC while keeping 6v sys intact?
    6 30lbs of R12 in stock

I am trying to understand if a "step up" converters (6v to 12v) allow reverse polarity of the output while using the same grounding platform (automobile chassis).

I would like to run a 12volt negative ground AC system mounted and grounded in a 6 volt positive ground car.

The 12v AC system will probably have compressor clutch, blower motor with rheostat, thermostat for clutch.....
    I am not sure about the amperage requirements. 20amp?, 30amp?

Maybe others are already doing this?

Pardon my stupidity.
    Certainly the power converter sellers are not advertising this capability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	VoltConv20amp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	1968601

Click image for larger version  Name:	1959ACUnit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	1968628

Click image for larger version  Name:	Work3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.3 KB ID:	1968630
    Last edited by Craig; 11-29-2022, 10:06 AM.

Troublemaker! LOL! Bump to top!

Comment

You may be able to find a 6 volt fan motor for the evaporator.

Then it’s just a matter of making the compressor clutch operate.

On my ‘53, the clutch windings were rewound to operate on 6 volts, but that was 25 years ago. The voltage converters are probably an easier way to go.

BTW.. I’m sending you 2 new voltage converters with the AC evaporators. I bought them when I was thinking about putting AC on a ‘41 Commander. On the bench, I wired up a 6 volt battery to the converter and then to a new 12V Sanden compressor. The clutch engaged as it should. I have no idea if it would last long term, but I guess you’ll find out.

Comment

6 volt Modern air conditioning in a Nash
        maybe the new techy OPTIMA battery helps this 6v?
        This not at night with lights on, plus add brake and turn lights.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFV6Wfo1j0

Click image for larger version  Name:	NashSanden1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	1968762
        Last edited by Craig; 11-30-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Craig, I posted this last month: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....in-6-volt-cars
          Matt couldn't get the clutch to engage with 6 volts, but sounds like the converter may be the way to go.
          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
            Craig, I posted this last month: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....in-6-volt-cars
            Matt couldn't get the clutch to engage with 6 volts, but sounds like the converter may be the way to go.
            But make sure you read the cautions for the converter you choose before you buy. Some of them warn against being used with "Electro-Mechanical Devices!"

Comment

• Craig
              Craig commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes, motors and clutches are both electromechanical, I think.

Working on a Sutton evaporator unit, trying to clean it up, fan and fan speeds works well on 12volts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221202_SuttonTearDown1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1969097

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dan View Post
              But make sure you read the cautions for the converter you choose before you buy. Some of them warn against being used with "Electro-Mechanical Devices!"
              You are right! Electro-mechanical devices use coils of wire to create the EMF, which when turned off, produce spikes (same as how the ignition coil works) and these spikes can damage solid state devices unless protection is designed into the device, or added into the circuit later.

Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

I was able to pick another option for evaporator. It is a Frigikar 6 volt unit!

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	1970014
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20221211_Frigikar6VMotor1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	1970015
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20221211_FrigikarApart1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	1970016
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20221211_FrigikarControls1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	1970034

Now apart for repairs and testing.
                The tiny indicator light "Magnetouch Control" comes on when clutch is engaged.
                The rotate circular grills have no means of attaching, so PO just used external screws/washers.
                Last edited by Craig; 12-12-2022, 05:35 AM.

Comment

I was wondering if you had bought that one. Mine works quite well.

Name:	3D27C43B-3633-4150-BD62-536124B6F629.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1970021

Comment

• Craig
                    Craig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A little rough, but can strip and refinish. The twist temp knob has a micro screw that needs to be removed and I can't identify the screw head. Any chance you can look at yours please?

The blower speed pull knob and switch came right off, and the tiny light was easily removed, but the temp not so easy.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	3D27C43B-3633-4150-BD62-536124B6F629.jpg Views:	4 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	1970021
                  Matt, the radio speaker usually hangs down below the dashboard. It does not appear to do that in your picture. Did you remove the speaker housing from the radio?
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-12-2022, 11:24 AM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The short answer is that there is no way to know without knowing the internal circuitry design of your step up converter. If it is well designed and the input is fully isolated from the output, then it will work just fine and you will be able to read 18V from your negative battery terminal the the (+) output of your inverter. The 12V (-) will share the chassis with the 6V (+) and they will not interfere with each other. If the internal circuitry does not provide input to output isolation you may have problems. Before hooking up any loads, I would connect the inverter to the with no output load and small fuses in both the input lines and the (-) output connection to the chassis. Power it up with the small temp fuses in place and measure your output voltage (12V +/-) and your12V (+) to your 6V battery (-) voltage. Verify your reading are 12V and 18V respectively. If they are, you have a good chance that everything will work like you want it to when you do your final install and connections.
                    Wayne
                    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

Matt, the radio speaker usually hangs down below the dashboard. It does not appear to do that in your picture. Did you remove the speaker housing from the radio?
                      Radio and speaker are intact.

Name:	IMG_6022.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1970184
                      Attached Files

Comment

OK. Thanks.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The twist temp knob has a micro screw that needs to be removed and I can't identify the screw head. Any chance you can look at yours please?

The set screw on mine is a very small Allen head.

Comment

Working...
                          X