No announcement yet.

Rolling the dice, and question on an old TC replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Rolling the dice, and question on an old TC replacement

I have been having the occasional "catch" when starting my 259 Y6 with AT x 2 years now. I have a fresh battery, a good charging generator & regulator, and now a freshly rebuilt starter with 3 bushings and a quality rebuild. Not to mention cleaning to shine all connections in the starting circuit. I have come to the conclusion that I have either an ignition switch issue or bad TC gear teeth. The teeth on the Bendix gear had mild wear when I rebuilt it last month.

My ignition switch operates nicely without any issue in any position and without any wobble to the inserted key.

I have 2 used torque converters that I removed from 2 cars that are in the shed x 5-10 years. If the worst happens and I need to replace the TC, can I simply install and fill the system complete with new AT fluid or will it require additional attention beforehand ??

New ring gears are still available. The old one needs to be cut off at the welds, and the new one welded back on. I had it done on a 60 Hawk with flighto. I'm guessing that any good machine shop could do the work for you.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Goes without saying, inspect the original TC ring gear first. You could inspect through the starter hole or after removing the bottom cover and rotating the TC.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I would only trust a Torque Converter Re-builder to replace a Ring Gear properly, Centered and Balanced and they would probably only do that with a Complete cut it open and rebuild it job.

If your Spare Converters did not come from a "burned out" Transmission with loads of lining material contamination from Bands and Clutches in it, and the opening was covered for10 + Years, if the Ring gears are good they should be fine, drain them and run them.

I am guessing from the Body Code, that this is a '62 Lark VIII Regal 4 Door Sedan that we are dealing with.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes: 62V-Y6

Comment

Yes, most every Studebaker comes with a chewed ring gear.
            Yes, new ring gears are available, but it's expensive to have one installed on a torque converter.
            Yes, agree with Rich, unless the transmission was killed by towing or running hot, the Stude V8s don't make enough horsepower to damage a torque converter.
            Having said that, they're basically impossible to flush of debris.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jackb please define 'catch'. You may likely have an electrical problem. Only problem I have ever had with a ring green is a chipped tooth, which is easy to confirm by getting under the car and rotating the motor, inch by inch, and looking at each and every tooth. Without visual confirmation, I would not even think of replacing the ring gear. JHMO

Comment

Working...
              X