No announcement yet.

62 Studebaker Lark V8 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the pictures. Thanks for all your guys help I really do appreciate it. I have been working on this car since I was 7 with my grandfather (now 21) and we had it running real good until the head on the straight 6 cracked in a whole bunch of places.

So in the last picture you can see all the steering I imagine I will have to make my mounts around because the 289 mounts in the back, I am just hoping the relocation kit for the oil filter wont stick out that much that it hits anything.

Does anybody have any examples of mounting a ford v8 in something similar?

Comment

On my 66 Commander I removed the Chevy engine and put in a 289 Stude. should be easy right? Stude engine in a Stude. Well I was amazed at how many issues I had trying to make it all work. My 63 parts car was invaluable during this conversion. The Ford engine along with a Ford parts car or truck might provide enough bits and pieces to help make it all come together.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

That is a nice looking car! Have you thought about putting another Stude six into it? You should be able to get one pretty cheap. and putting it in would be a weekend job.

Comment

Hey Jack,

The stock Chevybaker engine frame mounts bolt onto the frame, they are not welded!
          quote:Finding the '65-66 V8 mounts and [u]welding</u> them in as about as difficult as the easy-to-fab SBF mounts. In the engine-swapping universe, either engine into a Lark is as easy as it can get.
          Thanks, Transtar60, I stand corrected, jack vines sorry there aren't any larger, brighter fonts, but I matched yours as best I could.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

WE all know what a studebaker frame looks like. We needed to see the frame with the engine dropped in. But I have used the SBF in several frames, but not studebaker, so I'm familiar with their particular dimensions to a degree. I just recently put one in a 40 Nash. I used an aerostar front suspension and rack so I know about the oil filter interference. The 89 and up sbf used an oil filter relocater in the t-bird. My 88 cougar motor has rear sump; they're pretty common anymore. I just wonder how close the oil pump bump on the front of the pan will come to the bellcrank. That's my only concern. And I would try a short filter to clear the steering link before I used a relocater. There's going to be quite a bit of room there. Use one of fords AOD transmissions in it to make up for the low rear gear ratio. Nice car.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

That is a nice looking car! Have you thought about putting another Stude six into it? You should be able to get one pretty cheap. and putting it in would be a weekend job.
              That is the best idea. To switch to a Ford V8 and trans is not going to be easy. In addition, you will need at least the Stude V8 brakes and a V8 rear end.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

WE all know what a studebaker frame looks like. We needed to see the frame with the engine dropped in. But I have used the SBF in several frames, but not studebaker, so I'm familiar with their particular dimensions to a degree. I just recently put one in a 40 Nash. I used an aerostar front suspension and rack so I know about the oil filter interference. The 89 and up sbf used an oil filter relocater in the t-bird. My 88 cougar motor has rear sump; they're pretty common anymore. I just wonder how close the oil pump bump on the front of the pan will come to the bellcrank. That's my only concern. And I would try a short filter to clear the steering link before I used a relocater. There's going to be quite a bit of room there. Use one of fords AOD transmissions in it to make up for the low rear gear ratio. Nice car.
                Ford sells an adapter that was used on the Econoline vans to point the filter down. It can actually be rotated any direction to give room. I believe it is in the FRPP catalog.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hey Jack,

Didnt used to be so easy to change fonts, type size etc
                  Used to have to manually separate the codes for the different effects.
                  Like this Then I finally figured out to highlight the text first.

The stock Chevybaker engine frame mounts bolt onto the frame, they are not welded!
                  quote:Finding the '65-66 V8 mounts and [u]welding</u> them in as about as difficult as the easy-to-fab SBF mounts. In the engine-swapping universe, either engine into a Lark is as easy as it can get.
                  Thanks, Transtar60, I stand corrected, jack vines sorry there aren't any larger, brighter fonts, but I matched yours as best I could.

PackardV8

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28

59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

Ease of conversion;

1) Another 6 cylinder

2) Studebaker V8

3) Chevrolet Small Block

4) Everything else...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Jeez Guys, I was able to say it right after Jack said they were welded, without all the SHOUTING!

I tried to shoot him down EASY! Lol!

QUOTE: "a very nice factory cast iron engine mount bracket that excepts a GM Engine Mount now available in aluminum from most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com to secure the front of the SBC engine to the front crossmember [u]by simply bolting it in!
                      </u>
                      And if you can find a used '65-'66 rear tubular crossmember, [u]it is a "Bolt-in"</u>, after adding a short ext. with only minor driveshaft, shifter & wiring issues with the right hand starter on the GM engine and left hand batt. on the Lark, all very easy stuff, but will add to the cost."
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Kurt,sent you a private email.Please let me know if you do not receive it..Thanks.

Comment

Got it. Sent you email.

66 Commander R1 Clone
                          51 Commander 4dr
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I know it has been a while since I posted this but thought I would let you know how it was going. I got the engine installed, exhaust on, pretty much just a couple days work and drive line being cut from getting it running. Still have to rebuild the carb and exchange the electronic distributor I got for a new one (the one I bought was giving me no spark).

I have been working on this since I was 13 so I am pretty excited (my grandfather gave the car to me and a lot of work has been put into it). I am 22 now and I am excited to take make some brackets in the back seat to mount the car seat to so that we can go on rides together.

I had to flip the original mounts around and make this bracket. With the little help of an after market oil filter the 289 fit!

Now just to put the front end back on, a little body work while I am at it and then off for one last paint job!

Comment

nice job. looks like a stock oil filter. I bet that SBF weighs the same as the six did. What trans are you using? Those AOD's are a dime a dozen and would be great with the overdrive and low first gear. 85 to 94, I'm pretty sure are the best years. 95 went to computer controlled electric solenoids.

Comment

Did you upgrade the rear end?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                                Searcy, Arkansas
                                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                                X