289 crank play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 crank play

I am finishing up the 62 1/2 full flow 289. When I was installing the pulley hub I noticed some play front to back in the crank. I did not do any adjustments or removals to the lower end. It was probably there before. It is close to 1/64. It ran really well when I took it out of the car. I would rather not go into the engine if it can be helped. There was no vibrations when engine was in the car. Thoughts?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

What does..."close to" mean ?

1/64" is .015" Is "close to" meaning maybe .013", or .010" or .008...or...

What tool(s) are you measuring this with, that you use a fraction for the dimension ? You should be using a dial indicator, or at least a (pair of) feeler gauge, which both measure in thousandths of an inch.

Mike

Comment

I agree I need a better measurement. I know the specs are .003 to .006. By the way it feels it’s gonna be more than that.
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Used a dial measurement, play was .011.
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

So there is your answer, there are likely No, or insufficient Shims between the Thrust Washer and the Front Main Bearing & journal of the Crank.

The best way to check the end play, is using a piece of 2 Inch Exhaust Pipe as spacer & large washer to save pressing the Hub on and off at each adding or deleting of Shims.

Unless in your case, if you believe that .011, maybe just add =REMOVE .006 or .007
          Of course the downside is tearing the Engine apart again. If this is an Automatic Car it will be tempting to just leave it.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-26-2022, 03:59 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• StudeRich
            StudeRich commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bez, I am not really Dyslectic, but sometimes Up/Down, Less/More Challenged !

Adding shims INCREASES end play. You need to take some out, or install a thinner shim.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If it was new parts installed I would tighten it up. This is older parts in an automatic car. The play is less than I thought and it was running well when I pulled it. I don't want to open her up at this point. I do appreciate all the information though. Always great to hear from the expert group.
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
            X