Winter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Winter Storage

Now is the time of year when most of us in areas of the country that get cold store our vehicles. Make sure you change oil before putting your car away for the winter. Always store a car with fresh oil in the crankcase. It prevents damage to bearings and machined surfaces caused by contamination in the used oil.
    james r pepper

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
    Now is the time of year when most of us in areas of the country that get cold store our vehicles. Make sure you change oil before putting your car away for the winter. Always store a car with fresh oil in the crankcase. It prevents damage to bearings and machined surfaces caused by contamination in the used oil.
    And, hook up a trickle charger to maintain the battery over the winter.

Comment

.......I'm very lucky..... my winter prep is 5-30W oil and good snow tires ! And it took me a while to realize, I need a few 100 lbs. out back for good snow traction....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        .......I'm very lucky..... my winter prep is 5-30W oil and good snow tires ! And it took me a while to realize, I need a few 100 lbs. out back for good snow traction....
        That and WCD on your Roll-a-dex!

Comment

I don't trade at WCD. And I just now looked over at my roll-a-dex....tho can't say I've looked in it for some time now......

Comment

Decades ago I bought a '63 Avanti from a man in Cincinnati, OH. It had an R3 engine under the hood and snow tires on the back. The frame had already been replaced with an Avanti II one. Maybe a winter beater should be something lower on the pecking scale than an R3 Avanti.
            -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
              Probably not a bad idea if your oil is near the change time anyway but most if not all modern oils have enough additives that prevent acids and corrosion that damage from that source is pretty minimal. I only drive my Hawk 500 or so miles a year and don't see the need to dump perfectly good oil that costs nearly $7.00 a quart before normal change time. I have done this for years and haven't had any problems. Just an old caso I guess.

Comment

Don't forget the gas tank. Fill it up. I use Stabil irregularly but always add a can of Heet or Drygas . Condensation or frost can form on the metal inside the tank. The methanol in Heet keeps it suspended and not on the bottom of your tank. And Fresh Cab to help keep rodents out. I also keep bait in the garage---never ever put it in the car!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                  Don't forget the gas tank. Fill it up. I use Stabil irregularly but always add a can of Heet or Drygas . Condensation or frost can form on the metal inside the tank. The methanol in Heet keeps it suspended and not on the bottom of your tank. And Fresh Cab to help keep rodents out. I also keep bait in the garage---never ever put it in the car!!!
                  Use Startron in he the tank, prevents gas phase separation.

Comment

From my experience, a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil with every fill up year round gives the fuel winter protection superior to STA-BIL ® . Helps keep the engine internals clean as well.
                    I add it to the gas in every internal combustion device I own.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks! Always a MMM fan and use it in air tools. I'll try that. ( Had Stabil on shelf and it may be overrated and it is overpriced.) I think a quart of Diesel for every 10 gal gas may also work and may increase octane just a little bit.

Comment

Drive your Studebaker to Tucson. Our winter prep is pretty easy. Come here by January 23 and join us for our annual banquet at the Sheraton at 5151 E Grant Rd Tucson Az 85712

Bob Miles
                        AKA Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          our annual banquet at the Sheraton at 5151 E Grant Rd Tucson Az 85712

An interesting way to find out where our banquet is going to be this year, but now I know!
                          Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Yes, papers signed today. I will be putting in a notice hand written in the Copper Starlight when I get them from the printer. Also you will see a stamp on that issue that will say: Dues are Due

Bob Miles
                            Treasurer, Membership and Hubcap washer for the So AZ chapter.

Comment

I try to tank up with ethanol free premium before I store my cars for winter and add a can of Sea Foam into the mix. In the spring, a shot or two of ether is all that is needed to to get them running.

Comment

Working...
                              X