No announcement yet.

How to reset/glue(?) hardtop window back in the window frame/chrome trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How to reset/glue(?) hardtop window back in the window frame/chrome trim

After getting the regulator fixed yesterday, I took the hardtop door window to a couple of auto glass shops. The first, a shop I have used before, told me that the are no longer in the auto glass business but gave me that card for their old auto glass tech.

The second shop I visited said that they haven't seen a window assembly like I was holding since the late 1990s and recommended a local muscle car shop that got a few minutes of fame on one of the later seasons of Fast & Loud. Plus I was told that no one carried the cork strip necessary to reseat the window. I could call/visit other shops but a lot of them are in the windshield repair/replace business now.

So here I am with a loose in the frame passenger door window from a 62 hardtop, from my experience with local shops and Studebaker, I'm on my own again. I can probably get the window out of the frame and salvage the 60 year old cork but what would I use to "glue" it back together again as a make due fix? trim cement? Gorilla glue? epoxy?

\"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I am confused. Why would a reputable glass shop not know about window setting tape? It comes in several thicknesses - so you need the correct size. I used the tape to install the window in an Avanti.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
      I was told that no one carried the cork strip necessary to reseat the window.
      I would beg to differ.
      I believe they just don't want to bother dealing with something that doesn't have a high profit margin.

Restoration Specialties has the glass setting tape in multiple sizes and materials.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I got mine from ebay. Likely same stuff.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Thanks for the referral of Restoration Specialties. I looked up their website and they do take online orders I might need about twelve foot for both door windows, now to figure out the necessary tape thickness from the 60 year old original setting tape.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

I got window setting tape from Studebaker Glass. But I needed more so my local home & auto glass shop gave me a few feet for free. They had several thicknesses. You will need kerosene or lamp oil to 'set' it. Look for a youtube video.

Comment

Silicone seal is easy .

Comment

Working...
              X