Is This Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Is This Rust

56 P-Hawk: This is a picture of the inside on my door. I this rust? I was getting ready to install some Kilmat soundproof stuff, but the surface is extremely rough. I can't imagine that rust that bad on the inside would not be compromising the outside. So I am hoping its some kind of sprayed on 'resonant damper' stuff. It appears to be more in the window and not the edges, the opposite of what you would expect from rust. Thanks.
    Attached Files

The black stuff with a rough texture is undercoating. The surface rust is the brown stuff to the right of the black stuff in your photo. If all you have is surface rust like what is seen in the photo, I would suggest painting over the surface rust with POR-15 before applying your sound dampener.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Each to their own, but I wouldn't stick anything over that surface, especially if you are planing on keeping your car for a long time, water runs through all doors & condensation
      will sit under that sound proofing & rust will fester away. There is a product called Dynamat over here in Australia that everyone has gone nuts over, & stick it everywhere,
      if the surface has been sandblasted & properly coated I think its OK, but I would be careful of where it's applied, I've seen a floor after one year of a stick on sound proofing applied & not properly prepared..."not pretty".
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the insight. Kilmat is similar to Dynamat, but costs less. I have not used POR-15. I like Ospho for rust converting(won't discolor paint) but prefer Corroseal which converts rust and leaves a protective/prime surface. I plan on coating mostly the whole interior. I have wondered about condensation/moisture between layers.

Comment

Thom,

Only you can predict how you're going to use your car. If it's garaged and kept mostly dry, or at least dried out quickly after being wet, I see little issue with the stuff you are planning to use. If however you pan to challenge the car by leaving it out in the tough environment, in which you live, you may not like the results.

The rust your car shows is really not an issue. Remember Ospho needs to be top coated, for long term sustainability. POR15 works, but it's expensive, especially with it's short shelf life, and it's limited use because of the detrimental effect of UV light on it.

I hope you enjoy your car,
          Bill

Comment

You can also use cavity wax in there. You can get it with a long nozzle that allows you to get in to all the places
            3M™ Cavity Wax Plus 08852 is a non-hardening, self-healing corrosion protection coating for internal auto body panels and structural enclosures, as well as new replacement parts. It is designed to cover and seal internal joints, hem flanges and other areas where OEM e-coat may be compromised. It will not chip, peel or crack. Use the 3M™ Cavity Wax Plus Wand Kit for 360° coverage.

It doesnt provide sound deadening, but its somewhat easy to apply.

Comment

So tonight I painted Corroseal inside the door. With a light I found I could see quite a bit and reach most everywhere. Tomorrow I'll see what kind of surface it leaves and if the Kilmat will stick to it. I'm NorCal coastal... so a bit rain forresty in the winter.

Comment

Rafe do a really good job of cleaning the crud out of the door bottom to door skin seam, thats where rust will start "Festering" also keep door bottom clean. a car cover is a great investment even for cars stored inside. Luck Doofus

Comment

Here is before and after pictures, painted with Corroseal Rust Converter and primer. looks nice, eh?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                    Rafe do a really good job of cleaning the crud out of the door bottom to door skin seam, thats where rust will start "Festering" also keep door bottom clean. a car cover is a great investment even for cars stored inside. Luck Doofus
                    Agreed! The drain holes at the bottom of the door need to be checked. You can clean those out by pushing a hack saw blade through them to make sure there is not crud/dirt/loose rust blocking those holes.

Comment

I had rust in my doors as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220869.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1894406

I used Mapp gas to remove the undercoating.

Name:	P3120847.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1894407

Por-15 left a nice smooth finish.

Name:	P3120848.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	1894408

I did put one sheet of deadener in the door. I may regret it, but hoping the Por-15 coating will keep things at bay.
                      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

The deadener product I have says that if applied with plenty of roller pressure (and maybe warmth) it prenvents rust and trapped vapor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
                          The deadener product I have says that if applied with plenty of roller pressure (and maybe warmth) it prenvents rust and trapped vapor.

Name:	P4120844.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1894412

I used my homemade roller. An old wheelbarrow handle and an old bed frame wheel. The bed frame I use for my metal bending.
                          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Home made tools are the most interesting and often work best. Kudos! You have inspired me to dig into my box of castors.
                            Last edited by Rafe Hollister; 05-14-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Here is mine. Not as cool as yours, but just as cheap! And mine has lizard. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050227.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1894696

Comment

Working...
                              X