Delco Distributor/Pertronix Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Delco Distributor/Pertronix Conversion

I have finally tracked down the source of the engine problems on my 62GT. The distributor shaft has massive lateral play so much so that the rotor wobbles and has gouged the contacts in the cap. This is one of the Dave Thibault MOPAR/Prestolite converted distributors. I am considering switching to a Delco/Pertronix system.

I saw another thread on end play. When I am looking for a distributor to convert does the end play have the same impact with the Pertronix kit that it has in it's original points and condenser configuration? Easy to shim?

Also, the tach works with the current set up. Will switching to a Delco/Pertronix set up have any bearing on the tach? I honestly am not clear on how the tach works on a 62GT. I know there is a sender unit but where does it sense the RPM?

Thanks!

Again...vertical end play is NOT detrimental.

It has VERY little effect on engine performance. So little that you will NOT notice it.

Sure, you can shim it if you like, but think...thousands upon thousands (Chrysler, Chevy, Ford) of engines have this same vertical play in them, from the manufacturer. The engine will NOT notice the effect that the vertical play has. It's effect ONLY happens when you transition from, "on to off to on to"... throttle. and less than 1/2° of one degree..!

Clean up the distributor, make SURE that the bushings do not let the shaft wobble before you install the Pertronix unit...THAT will have a detrimental effect on the way that the engine runs.

Mike

Comment

Sounds like you have a warped shaft, so why not simply address that? If the bushings are serviceable, the Prestolite is hard to beat.

Comment

I'd bring it up with Dave. He's a stand-up guy, and if there is a problem with what he did, he would be happy to find a way to make it right.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          I'd bring it up with Dave. He's a stand-up guy, and if there is a problem with what he did, he would be happy to find a way to make it right.
          Yes I agree. He has another distributor for me. He definitely is a stand-up guy!

Comment

Working...
          X