No announcement yet.

289 Crankshaft Forging numbers needed .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 Crankshaft Forging numbers needed .

I've done some searching here on the Forum and elsewhere . I have found some Threads with casting numbers ( forging ), and
    part numbers also , but it did seem that there was still some uncertainty if the info was complete .
    Can someone post the known casting ( FORGING ) numbers for the Early and late 289 cranks .

I have consulted my factory parts manuals , and they only show P/N's not casting ( Forging ) numbers .

If one is trying to buy one located at a distance , and if the seller is able to read the casting ( forging )number , it reduces the chances for a mistake .

Thanks. ( I've posted this in TECH , but move as necessary )
    Last edited by shifter4; 04-09-2021, 01:29 PM.
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Go to studebakerparts.com click on engine, scroll down to identify crankshaft by casting number.

Bo
    Bo

Comment

Thank you very much .
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970

Comment

Been a while since we've had the opportunity to make this distinction, but one more time. There are no Studebaker V8 crankshaft CASTING numbers; those are for lesser engines with cast crankshafts. All our Studebaker V8 crankshafts are forged steel, so one would be checking the FORGING numbers.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack.
          I was just going to ask, I've been under the impression that ALL Stude crank shafts were forgings. But then again, I've been told that ALL Stude, V-8 cylinder heads were very hard, and I know that THAT'S NOT true.
          While I haven't seen THAT many crank shafts, the ones that I have seen have ALL been forged. It's very easy to spot forged vs, cast.

Mike

Comment

Forgive my Transgression . I have been asked by many of the holders of Stude parts recently , while searching , for the casting
            number , and rather than argue , I just need to supply the number to them to look for . It is impossible to accidentally get a cast crank , so what's the harm ?
            Bill H
            Daytona Beach
            SDC member since 1970

Comment

Some of us knew what you meant. Makes little difference. Mfg. number is a mfg. number........... Life is to short to nit pick.

Bo
              Bo

Comment

Here's a start.

Comment

Working...
                X