Using "L" with a Flightomatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    I would NEVER pull the lever to Low at speed, no matter what the manual says
    The problem is when you encounter situations where you really *do* need to be holding second gear.. i.e. descending a steep mountain pass on the freeway. Never have been too enamored with the three speed autos that have only two forward gear selections on the quadrant, but have never experienced a such equipped trans that didn't always select the correct gear for the speed I was going when dropping it into "L" while in motion.

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
      I often use "L" when starting on hills, or for a little faster takeoff at stop lights when I need it. I would NEVER pull the lever to Low at speed, no matter what the manual says - after all, we are playing with 60+ year-old cars here.
      Just my two cents
      Clark, you don't want to come up against me at the Drags, it'll be: BYE, Bye!

Low, Drive, Low, Drive and GONE! Got the "I Stock" Automatic, Formula 7 Trophy to prove it!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, will be interesting to see what the auto guys find. I've gone back over the selector adjustment, it was a bit out, could of been sitting on the edge of D & L,
        & a burst of gas pushed it over. That aside, I don't think under normal circumstances that would of caused damage at 40mph, so something has given way,
        probably better now than later. In my 20's I had a '63 Lark with 259 & Flightomatic, I put a "T" bar shifter in the floor, being young & stupid, I used to give it some stick
        on occasions & never had any trouble, regards, Cus
        sigpic

Comment

I bought a '62 Lark with no reverse, but the forward gears were fine. The key was trying to adjust the bands. The rear band (AFAIR) would not adjust, and upon closer examination, one of the "dogs" that the servo acted against had broke from the rest of the band. I was actually able to change it without pulling the transmission (though it was way too hard that way) and it ran fine for years.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks Ron, sounds like it could be something like that, when I select reverse, it's like it binds up & engine will stall, kind of like having the park brake on, but axles are free spinning,
            car is jacked up etc.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Clark, you don't want to come up against me at the Drags, it'll be: BYE, Bye!

Low, Drive, Low, Drive and GONE! Got the "I Stock" Automatic, Formula 7 Trophy to prove it!
              Agree, Rich. I've manually shifted any and every automatic I've owned for sixty years. The only casualty was the Packard Ultramatic, but those die early and often whatever the use. The Borg-Warners have been pretty bulletproof.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Agree, Rich. I've manually shifted any and every automatic I've owned for sixty years. The only casualty was the Packard Ultramatic, but those die early and often whatever the use. The Borg-Warners have been pretty bulletproof.

jack vines
                good to hear F-O-Matics and take a thrashing and no delicate, they did that one right

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                  Thanks Ron, sounds like it could be something like that, when I select reverse, it's like it binds up & engine will stall, kind of like having the park brake on, but axles are free spinning,
                  car is jacked up etc.
                  Has anybody had that happen before?
                  sigpic

Comment

^ I have not had it happen to me, but do know that it's symptomatic of a transmission trying to select two gears at once. Reasons for that could be something stuck or broken in the valve body; same same with servos, bands, clutches.

Also could be hard parts that have broken and are jamming the works up. Here's to hoping that it's just a valve body issue...

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post

Has anybody had that happen before?
                      Yes, if you referring to the Two Gears at once. Taking off in Drive and got up to the shift point about 30-35 and BANG! the wheels locked and skidded to a stop, it was in Low and Second at the same time!

BUT this did not happen to a previously running fine Trans. it was a '57 GH with that Valve Body that you can assemble the Shift Valve with the spring on one end for 2nd. Gear Start, and on the OTHER end for low Gear Start and freshly Rebuilt.

Our SDC friend in Portland OR who did the Rebuild had put non-compatible Year Parts in, I wish I could remember What.
                      Anyway he drove all the way up here 282 Miles one way, and replaced the wrong Parts and all was good with the Low Gear Start Conversion then.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bit of an update on the trans, dropped the pan & bad news, oil looked like metallic red paint, looks like both the clutches crapped themselves. Poor workmanship on the transmission place that did the inspection & service, after sitting around for 30 years, they should of delved deeper. So I purchased a trans from a 63 Hawk that had done around 60 k miles, & the torque converter, found a shop that cares & know what they are doing, full rebuild & split & clean the torque converter, when it’s ready I’m getting them to do the transplant & I’ll just keep the other for spares or whatever, very frustrating, but I guess better now than miles from home & bang, getting hard to find good workshops these days!
                        sigpic

Comment

OK, that is good News that you found a "Better" Shop!

However you will need to use a LOT of Caution here when the "Internals" of the Trans. are done.
                          I would bet that there are NO Automatic Trans. Shops "ON the Planet" that actually know how to properly Set Up a Flight-O-Matic throttle Linkage and Trans. Throttle Pressure!

You will need to give Him the Shop Manual and page mark the FUEL Section where it describes how to properly adjust the Throttle linkage FIRST.

Then mark the Transmission Throttle PRESSURE Adjustment Page that explains that you need a Tachometer, a 0 to 150 to 200 Lb. Pressure Gauge to set the RPM, and through the "Test Port" at the Left Front of the Trans. Case read the Pressure to adjust the Linkage for proper Shift Points and Running Pressure.

This Post is valuable info for All Automatic Trans. Studebaker Owners.
                          It is even more important lately, since SO many of us are installing New Edelbrock 4 Barrel AFB Clone Carb's. which COULD disturb the Throttle Linkage adjustment which WILL affect the Trans. Throttle PRESSURE Adjustment.

It goes without saying, that if you ignore this, you will have MISSED the actual Cause of your Complete Rebuild being needed, and History WILL repeat itself!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-30-2021, 01:16 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok, good advice, will do,

regards, Cus
                            sigpic

Comment

Marcus,

Sorry to read about your problem, however I really commend you for sticking with the Flightomatic. This trans was not an industry outlier. It was in fact a staple for the industry for a generation. It's reliability and flexibility is noteworthy. I have nothing against the transmissions that are often touted as replacements for the Flightomatic, but really making the swap seems to be a little nonsensical. I've driven cars with this trans for hundreds of thousands of miles, without any problems. I wish that I could say the same of the more "modern" transmissions that I use regularly today.

Comment

Yes, I owned a 63 Lark & cruised many trouble free miles in it, one thing is with this Flightomatic it has the under floor filler as per my previous trans, it apparently
                                came out of an Australian delivered '63 Gt, but my '63 Lark had an under hood filler dipstick,
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X