Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought this was suppose to me some kind of oil pressure valve that was leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: I thought this was suppose to me some kind of oil pressure valve that was leaking

but it turns out to be maybe a magnetic drain plug, unsure, do i need the pressure valve in there as per manual? Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0099.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1875459Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0097.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1875460Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0095.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1875461Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0094.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1875462

Get a service manual and look up how to properly service the oil pressure relief valve.
    It is a very important part of every Studebaker V8 engine and is oft-overlooked.
    Teflon tape there (Where you have it in your pic) is useless and possibly dangerous to crack a casting (1.5 wraps max on any thread in a cast hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oilprrvtw.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1875465
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Teflon tape there (Where you have it in your pic) is useless and possibly dangerous to crack a casting (1.5 wraps max on any thread in a cast hole.
      Thanks for posting that Jeff!!! My first formal training in any kind of Mechanics was during my Air Force Tech Schooling in 1965. Since that time, I have used and sold Teflon sealing tape, but for some reason had missed that detail. As one who is proud of the knowledge I have gained through the years, I am not too proud to admit that there are things I don't know. When someone comes along and provides helpful instructions, and tips, I am also not too proud to give credit where credit is due.

I have always pretty much wrapped the tape by "intuition," and my main concern was not to allow it to extend into the fluid stream whether it be pneumatic, hydraulic, paint, or solvents.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Piston and Spring (3) & (4) that does ALL the work is still stuck in the Hole.

Usually a standard wood Lead Pencil will remove it, it is supposed to be clean, Oiled and free to move.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

with all the wrapping it still was way loose, and no spring and piston around

and it was leaking, the copper crush washer look tired and won't come out, looks like i discovered another boo boo

broken thermostat, wonder what else this 'rebuilt engine" has lurking?

but she sure runs hard and fast, like a liter motorcycleClick image for larger version  Name:	103_0096.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	1875471Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0098.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	1875472
          Last edited by mw2013; 01-17-2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

You need a thinner, softer Copper Gasket/Washer, the original was very thin Copper and Asbestos filled, so nowadays all you can get are pure copper, but that one is TOO thick.
            It's a good thing you have another Car and a Motorcycle to drive, because you have opened up "Pandora's Box" so to speak!
            And you are "up a Creek without a Paddle" on a Sunday.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just get the oil pressure relief valve KIT from SI.
              That leak will go away, and your engine will appreciate it.

Name:	Oil Pressure Relief Valve Kit - SI.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1875479
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                You need a thinner, softer Copper Gasket/Washer, the original was very thin Copper and Asbestos filled, so nowadays all you can get are pure copper, but that one is TOO thick.
                It's a good thing you have another Car and a Motorcycle to drive, because you have opened up "Pandora's Box" so to speak!
                And you are "up a Creek without a Paddle" on a Sunday.
                i drove the sucker around the block after learning to mess with the camber and caster lol, gotta find some place that sell springs and psitons

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Just get the oil pressure relief valve KIT from SI.
                  That leak will go away, and your engine will appreciate it.

Name:	Oil Pressure Relief Valve Kit - SI.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1875479
                  thanks boss

Comment

I'd love to hear what the oil pressure was before and what it is after the correct parts are installed.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      I'd love to hear what the oil pressure was before and what it is after the correct parts are installed.
                      no gauge, just stock idiot light

Comment

This is where a bore scope comes in handy.

Comment

In this case, what is the purpose of Teflon? And further what is the purpose of Teflon any where?

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                            In this case, what is the purpose of Teflon? And further what is the purpose of Teflon any where?
                            to stop a plumbing leak professionally

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

to stop a plumbing leak professionally
                              Teflon tape is for (tapered) pipe threads only, not (straight) threads. That's why a copper washer is used for the straight threads. Like with the oil pan drain plug uses a washer, not teflon.

Comment

Working...
                              X