1949 2r5 windshield wiper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1949 2r5 windshield wiper motor

Greetings. I would like some information on the windshield wiper motor, on a 1949 2r5 1/2 ton truck. This is pretty much the last thing that won't work on my truck. The actuator works, but with some difficulty. Can you rebuild this thing? I'm not finding much so far for a new one.
    Also, I'd like to install a set of seat belts. Is there a standard length to order for a truck?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Davidj

You DO have a Vacuum Wiper Motor correct? Some have been converted to 2 Speed Electric.

The Standard Length Studebaker Seat Belts 801528 thru 801981 depending on Color, (Probably Tan or Black) should work fine at 52" unless you are a REALLY BIG Guy, to need the XXL Size 72".

https://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You have several options on your wipers. First, you can squirt some brake fluid in where the hose attaches, and then work the motor arms back and forth. That sometimes works. Or you can send it out to be rebuilt. Wiperman in Long Island is the expert on Trico motors.
      Trico Wiper Motors, Arms, Blades etc. Anco Wiper Arms & Blades Sorry we do NOT sell rebuild kits

Third, Newport Engineering will sell you an electric motor conversion kit.

On seat belts, mount them through the cab floor (don't use the cab mount bolts) so that they drop vertically when the seat is all the way back. Don't drill through the gas tank!
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The electric from Newport is a very nice, USA made 12 volt (-) negative ground unit. Works great....

Comment

Thanks for the information. I do have the vacuum motor. Going to try to fix it today.

Comment

i've retrofitted mine to electric using parts from a '56.

Comment

I assume David's truck is still 6-volt +. The Newport wiper motor is designed to be a bolt-in fit, but 12-volt- ground.
              Mr. Ficken (Wiperman) does a fine job returning the vacuum motors to original operation. He does advise against using any lubricants in them but what he uses.
              And then he advises they should always work fine, as long as they are regularly used. So many of us get them functioning and then seldom take them out in the rain.
              Someone recommended turning the wipers on every time you park the vehicle. So they will make a swipe; then make another the next time you start it.
              Checking for maximum vacuum at the manifold might help as well.
              Has anyone ever added an auxiliary vacuum pump and canister?
              Last edited by rockne10; 11-09-2020, 11:12 AM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't like to run the wipers over a dry windshield, thinking that trace amounts of dust on the blades will eventually scratch the glass.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X