Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hawk GT reverse opening hood

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: Hawk GT reverse opening hood

    I've owned a '62 Hawk for several years and have never liked the front opening hood design. I've looked longingly at the design Jerry Forrester used converting 'Buttercup' to a rear opening design, as well as pictures Bill Van Alstyne sent me as his hood project progressed and decided to give it a shot. I did use the same hinges Jerry and Bill used from a late 80s Buick, but left the inner fender shapes the same, opting to make small pedestal mounts that I bolted in. I'm going to attach a few pictures now of the completed conversion and will add more detail as I have time. I estimate I've got 60-70 hours in the fabricobbling (loved that term I read somewhere on the forum) - all done in the barn through this summer. I had to take a good month off in the middle of things to have a few blocked arteries bypassed, but I managed to finish.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_151001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	1860811Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG0078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	1860812Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_150659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	1860813Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_150723.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	1860814Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_150750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1860815Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_150738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	1860816

  • #2
    Nice workmanship.

    There is also a simpler version somewhere on this forum using barn door hinges.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

    17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wh22366 View Post
      ... I estimate I've got 60-70 hours in the fabricobbling (loved that term I read somewhere on the forum) - all done in the barn through this summer. I had to take a good month off in the middle of things to have a few blocked arteries bypassed, but I managed to finish.

      Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_151001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	1860811Click image for larger version Name:	KIMG0078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	1860812Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	1860813Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150723.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	1860814Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1860815Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	1860816
      Great work! '62 GT has the cleanest, sleekest front design of the GT series and your modification to the reverse-opening is first-rate. You have done no harm to the original design! I'm not only admiring the car but the surroundings and background in the picture.

      Oh...and the month off to take care of those blocked arteries...very likely the best move in the whole project. Your shop looks like a great place to pull up a chair and swap Studebaker stories!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

      SDC member since 1975

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Nice workmanship.

        There is also a simpler version somewhere on this forum using barn door hinges.
        Thanks. I saw that but I wanted to do it the hard way! Actually I like the way the hood balances on the hinges (2nd photo) allowing me to stay in front to complete an opening or closing.

        Roy, your FM conversion of my radio is still one of the best investments I've made!

        Wayne

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jclary View Post

          Great work! '62 GT has the cleanest, sleekest front design of the GT series and your modification to the reverse-opening is first-rate. You have done no harm to the original design! I'm not only admiring the car but the surroundings and background in the picture.

          Oh...and the month off to take care of those blocked arteries...very likely the best move in the whole project. Your shop looks like a great place to pull up a chair and swap Studebaker stories!
          Appreciate your comments. I'm still fiddling with some details, but by and large I'm happy with the results. I used about every tool in the barn on this one!

          Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0056.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1860896Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0084.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1860897

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wh22366 View Post

            Roy, your FM conversion of my radio is still one of the best investments I've made!

            Wayne
            Thanks for the compliment Wayne. You must have installed some good speakers.
            Glad you are enjoying it.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

            17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wh22366 View Post
              I've owned a '62 Hawk for several years and have never liked the front opening hood design. I've looked longingly at the design Jerry Forrester used converting 'Buttercup' to a rear opening design, as well as pictures Bill Van Alstyne sent me as his hood project progressed and decided to give it a shot. I did use the same hinges Jerry and Bill used from a late 80s Buick, but left the inner fender shapes the same, opting to make small pedestal mounts that I bolted in. I'm going to attach a few pictures now of the completed conversion and will add more detail as I have time. I estimate I've got 60-70 hours in the fabricobbling (loved that term I read somewhere on the forum) - all done in the barn through this summer. I had to take a good month off in the middle of things to have a few blocked arteries bypassed, but I managed to finish.

              Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_151001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	1860811Click image for larger version Name:	KIMG0078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	1860812Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150659.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	1860813Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150723.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	1860814Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1860815Click image for larger version Name:	20201001_150738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	1860816
              Looking good Wayne.
              If you want, I can show you how to prevent the rear corners of the hood from coming so close to the fenders when closing the hood. But with the pedestal mounts you are using, you may not have that problem.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

              See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

                Looking good Wayne.
                If you want, I can show you how to prevent the rear corners of the hood from coming so close to the fenders when closing the hood. But with the pedestal mounts you are using, you may not have that problem.
                I initially had that problem using he Buick "rollers." The 1 3/4" diameter freeze plugs I used on the hood give me a minimum of 1/4" fender clearance. Please do give me more info on the subject when you get time, I'd appreciate it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wayne,
                  Great conversion I would consider on my '63 GT. Nice shop/barn and judging by one of your pics. I think the hammer in the foreground has Noah's name on it!
                  Cheers, Bill

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've done a conversion write-up for Bob Johnstone's Studebaker info web page and assume he'll post it soon. Hope it answers a few questions for anyone interested in going this route!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X