Engine color 1964 289??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine color 1964 289??

Well, I went to search "Tech Tips", then I tried the search function on the Forum and, here I am with no answer. I'm getting ready to paint a 1964 289 engine prior to installation in my '53 Commander Starliner. Simple question (I think); what color should the engine block (and heads, intake manifold, water manifold, etc.) be? Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

All items should be black.

Comment

Or, you could paint it the color of a '53 engine.
      --Dwight

Comment

If you are putting it into a 53, I personally would paint it the olive green color that the 53 engine was painted. All green with black valve covers.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks all for your info and suggestions. Because the 289 has an aluminum timing gear cover which mounts the fuel pump (obviously different than the '53 232) and the fact that my '53 already is running a tired '56 289 and I converted the car to 12 volts (so nobody would be fooled into thinking the engine is original even if I painted it '53 green), I'm gonna stay with the black for the '64 engine (with Avanti chrome valve covers). Thanks again.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

If you want it to look like a stock '53 then paint it as one. If you just want it to be pretty, turquoise is my favorite. Timing cover is hard to see and appreciate the clean aluminum look. Black engine and chrome accessories always looks nice.

Comment

That's a good choice Howard, that way you avoid those kind of "in your Face" Yellow Valve Covers.
              I use them on Original Cars, but wouldn't when I have modified things which I DO actually do on SOME Cars.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X