1949 2r5 1/2 ton pickup timing issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1949 2r5 1/2 ton pickup timing issue

Restoring a 1949 2r5 1/2 ton pickup. Can't get it started. seems like a timing issue. my question is how do I know when number 1 piston is in the firing position? I am getting backfire in the carb and from the exhaust pipe. Not sure if I have the distributer in the correct position. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

On a Six, the Distributor can only go in Correctly or 180 Out, if the Oil pump was properly assembled if the Engine was EVER apart.
    Check the Firing Order, remembering that the Dist. turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

MOST Ignition problems with No or poor Fire, are Points related, but of course it needs to be properly Timed.

When the Pointer on the Timing Gear Cover is on "UDC" or "IGN" or very close, every OTHER rotation will be Number One Firing, check where the Rotor is pointing when in firing Position to line up with the #1 Plug Wire.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very easy to find #1 firing position: remove the #1 sparkplug and lay a penny over the hole. Turn the engine over by hand CW till the penny starts to float up --which means #1 is on compression stroke--and then keep going till the "ign" mark is right under the pointer. Now look at your distributor. Loosen the timing adjuster screw and rotate the dizzy CCW til the points close. Now rotate it back CW til they just begin to open. I use a ohm meter to tell. Lock the dizzy down and your timing will be very close to perfect. Then see where your rotor is pointing and make sure #1 wire is there. Then it is 1-5-3-6-2-4 CCW around the cap.

On Champions the tang on the distributor drive is offset so the dizzy will only mesh one way. Of course if the oil pump has been messed with you won't end up with the standard #1 position but you can usually move the wires.

Comment

Isn't the timing mark on a champion engine on the flywheel?
        Roger W. List
        Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Thank you for the information. Very helpful. I will check this afternoon.

Comment

Success! I got the truck running for three consecutive days! Another Studebaker truck will hit the road this year! thanks for the information from the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger L. View Post
              Isn't the timing mark on a champion engine on the flywheel?
              It's on the Vibration Damper on the FRONT of the Crank.
              If you are talking about the Flywheel at REAR of the Engine, that was done in the 1930's on some makes.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X