Front coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Front coil springs

I am trying to find the right MOOG front coil spring part number for a V8 1963 Daytona.
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

Just search "Moog CC" (CC= Cargo Carrier) at this site and there is a LOT of discussion on part number, fitment, installation and results. These are what people consider to be "upgraded" springs and have a variable rate. If you want stock springs others will have to direct you.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I believe MOOG CC653 is the latest recommendation, since the CC655s have supposedly dried up and no longer available. If you search the archives here, there's more a lot info on the MOOGs. Moog CC655 coil springs
      Last edited by JoeHall; 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Here's a link that may be helpful: Moog CC655 coil springs

Comment

I haven't checked recently, but I think the Moog CC655 springs are still available through O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They carry them under the brand name Precision Coil Springs, part # SP08055. I purchased a set in late 2017 . I'd check with O'Reilly's before trying to substitute something else. ~ Dale

Comment

I purchased a set of Precision Coil Springs, part # SP08055 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts a couple months ago. I had them the next day.

Comment

Hi, I've been seeing a lot of moog under chassis parts and wanted to know how does it compare with mevotech? I read from another forum that mevotech are more expensive but quality is almost the same with moog. Anyone of you read this site Mevotech Vs Moog Comparison. I need to replace tie rod ends and other bushings and been thinking if I buy a more expensive one would be reasonable because it's more durable?....

Comment

Originally posted by Micheal17 View Post
                Hi, I've been seeing a lot of moog under chassis parts and wanted to know how does it compare with mevotech? I read from another forum that mevotech are more expensive but quality is almost the same with moog. Anyone of you read this site Mevotech Vs Moog Comparison. I need to replace tie rod ends and other bushings and been thinking if I buy a more expensive one would be reasonable because it's more durable?....
                I would just buy those parts from our Studebaker vendors. Much less hassle, and you're sure to get the right parts. For the front coil springs the OP mentioned above, the MOOG CC655, or whatever substitute is available from other companies, will have to come from your FLAPS.

Comment

Just to throw in here......my 205's just now started rubbing up against the front wheel openings this past week after 2K miles and after a 14 year slumber. Only on right side, driveway curb.......

Comment

Bought a pair of springs from a genuine Stude parts vender a few years ago. I did manage to compress the spring--with considerable difficulty--and finally managed to get them installed. The front end of the car was raised about a foot as the wt. of the car barely compressed this ??? spring at all. And another couple days were spent getting the damned things off and a pair of those Moog springs on. They were, by the way, much less than The official genuine Stude parts venders crap. Just cause somebody lists their name as a Stude parts vender does NOT convey sainthood. I have only good things to say about Stephen Allen, Studebaker West, Studebaker Parts online, and I think Jim Line is trying very hard to improve SI service. (Never took those springs back ' cause I was so mad that I was afraid of what I might say! Shipping would have come to more than the new ones cost. They were donated to my friendly local metal recycler.) Oops--Phil Harris , Dave T , and Jon Myers are great,too! (I'm sure I forgot someone, sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      Just to throw in here......my 205's just now started rubbing up against the front wheel openings this past week after 2K miles and after a 14 year slumber. Only on right side, driveway curb.......
                      Consider this..........back in 1967 I installed new HD front springs in my Avanti.......I knew all springs would sag in due course, so at the same time I put in front 1/2" spacers..........she still sits beautiful today!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        Bought a pair of springs from a genuine Stude parts vender a few years ago. I did manage to compress the spring--with considerable difficulty--and finally managed to get them installed. The front end of the car was raised about a foot as the wt. of the car barely compressed this ??? spring at all. And another couple days were spent getting the damned things off and a pair of those Moog springs on. They were, by the way, much less than The official genuine Stude parts venders crap. Just cause somebody lists their name as a Stude parts vender does NOT convey sainthood. I have only good things to say about Stephen Allen, Studebaker West, Studebaker Parts online, and I think Jim Line is trying very hard to improve SI service. (Never took those springs back ' cause I was so mad that I was afraid of what I might say! Shipping would have come to more than the new ones cost. They were donated to my friendly local metal recycler.) Oops--Phil Harris , Dave T , and Jon Myers are great,too! (I'm sure I forgot someone, sorry)
                        Yes, the 526122 springs (IIRC) were sold for decades as a one size fits all for V8 Studes, and many who installed them said they were way too harsh.

Comment

Working...
                        X