How to repair the heater control valve, 58 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: How to repair the heater control valve, 58 Hawk

Finally got the car up and driving and find that the heater control valve is leaking, I had a second valve but wasn't able to get it disassembled (yet), A friend disassembled the control valve that's leaking and added packing but evidently that isn't working Any suggestions from the group??

Repair kits for the Ranco valves are available at most FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store).
    If you just need the seal, it is carried by NAPA and the part number is BK 6601000

https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Ran...b/rancotb.html
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with rockne 10, I use the repair kit from NAPA to service those valves. If I remember correctly, the kit is around 10 bucks. Take your time disassembling the valve as they can easily be ruined, ask me how I know as I ruined one before I figured out how to do the disassembly and reassembly. Leave the thermostatic control diaphragm alone as it shouldn't have to be removed to replace the leaking seal. Bud

Comment

Post #2 and 3 are good advice IF you had a Automatic, Thermostatically controlled RANCO Valve as on '53 to '57 and '62 to '66's.

However, this is the Manual, variable flow "Plunger" Type with a packing used on '58 to '61's, so no "Kit" is available.
        These tend to have poor leverage and bind up, even IF the cable is Lubed and free, not really the best design.

Your best Fix is a new universal Ball Valve, but should be Pull to OPEN, not Close.
        Also check to see if your Car has 5/8" or 3/4" I.D. Hose.

Marv, check your "Messages", at the very TOP of the Page, Right side, with the BELL.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-24-2019, 03:17 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a picture of the disassembled valve, this is not the thermostatic valve that was in the car originally, maybe I need to revert to stock Anyway, a friend disassembled the first one and used water valve packing which didn't work. After getting it apart I discovered that it used a "leather" seal, I think I will hit the hardware stores to see if I can find something similar or.......StudeRich has a replacement valve available. At least I have options

Comment

You might check with a guy in WI - Joe Hudacek who rebuilds heater control valves. He advertises in Hemmings and has done several valves for me. 715-392-6169. hudacekjj@chartermi.net
            Rob in PA

Comment

Marv, notice that the First sentence of Post #4 tells you that this IS the correct Valve for '58-'61's.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Also chet445 may have hit on a solution. Nice timing, especially since the weather has gone sour! Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                  You might check with a guy in WI - Joe Hudacek who rebuilds heater control valves. He advertises in Hemmings and has done several valves for me. 715-392-6169. hudacekjj@chartermi.net
                  Rob in PA
                  This a valve on my old Lark that was rebuilt by Mr. Hudacek - and photo was taken after it had been back under the hood for a couple of years

Comment

I decided before using a valve that didn't orient like the Hawk unit I would try rebuilding the Ranco Valve, if I failed then I could go to the ball valve that Stude Rich suggested.

I got lucky and disassembled the original Ranco valve, installed the new "rubber" seal. Last Sunday I fired up the car and no leaks, I was very happy (and the heater worked I didn't notice until today that I had a message and another possible solution that looked somewhat like the Hawk valve was available from NAPA part number BK 6601145.

I thought I'd include a picture of the "fixture" I fabricated a holding fixture(based on what I had seen in another post--thanks to that person), I modified a big washer and drilled a hole in the 4x4 that would accept the water tube and used the socket and a large C clamp to clap it together so I could bend the brass over to keep it affixed to the backing plate. Normally my wife has to hold things but this arrangement held it very tightly.

I wish I could give proper thanks to the person that gave me the idea....I am not sure if I'd have figured this one out
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2849.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1827817

Comment

Good job, but did you ever Read Post #4 and Post #9?

A '58 Hawk should not have had a Ranco Valve as your '53 does, and Post #1 Pic shows it was not, as I said in Post 4, it should be a "plunger" Type Valve as also shown in Post 9.
                      You said you rebuilt "the Original '58 Valve", but this Ranco Automatic Temp. Controlled Valve is NOT it.
                      So to mount this valve you would have to Cut holes in the Firewall to mount it inside so the Temp Control "Wire" (Bourbon Tube) could control it.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The car is a 53 Coupe, and the Ranco valve came with the car. I have three Hawk parts cars, one donated the frame. I was initially "afraid" to use the Ranco valve because it looked "different" so using one of the later model heater valves seemed like a good idea. Wrong! I can see that the title is misleading. The 58 Hawk in the title was what the valve came out of. Thanks for your assistance along the way!!

Comment

Working...
                        X