Fuel smells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel smells

I have owned many old cars but for some reason this one is giving me a fuel smell in the cabin, I only notice it after I walk in the house and smell my shirt.I cant find any leaks, only thing I can think of is possibly the exhaust is somehow getting into the car, I have dual flowmasters that dump under the car right past the drivers seat, about where the passengers feet would be. its a brand new exhaust system so I know there are no leaks, but I really want to fix this

any ideas?

1964 Daytona Wagonaire 259cid flight o matic with AC

You have answered your own question.
    Check your A/F ratio.
    Sounds fat from the smell of your shirt.
    Move the exhaust dumps.
    Seal up your interior better.
    ScotchGuard your shirt.
    Drive faster.
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Did it smell before the new exhaust system? Did the old exhaust system, exhaust out the side of the car as does the new system?

Comment

There may be a reason those cars originally had a system that took the exhaust
        clear out to the corners of the rear bumper... [^]

But I could be wrong... [:0] [V]

StudeDave '57 [}]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I don't know about Wagonaires, but my 53 coupe at speed (vent or other windows open) has negative pressure in the trunk, sucks exhaust in, smells up the car unless I close a foam cylinder in the back of the deck lid.

My exhausts are out back, beyond the bumper.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

well Im not sure if the smell was there before the exhaust or not because it was the first thing I did to the car due to a broken pipe. Im not sure how it could find its way back into the car when traveling down the road at a certain speed, especially since it is dumping towards the ground.
            I have all new doors seals that I will install after paint and hopefully that will help.
            fwiw I had an old suburban with the exhaust at the rear bumper and it would find its way back in thru the back window if it was rolled down, but this smells like straight gasoline on my shirt as if it was misted on.

back to the drawing board lol

Comment

Well then, I'd be looking for a porous Carb. casting seeping raw Gasoline, or worn Carb. Base throttle shaft holes, bad fuel pump or gas tank flex hoses, leaky fuel pump etc.

The engine fan is forcing it thorough any holes in the firewall or floor such as removed A/C hoses for the possibly old no longer working A/C!

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

but this smells like straight gasoline on my shirt as if it was misted on.
              StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Well then, I'd be looking for a porous Carb. casting seeping raw Gasoline, or worn Carb. Base throttle shaft holes, bad fuel pump or gas tank flex hoses, leaky fuel pump etc.

The engine fan is forcing it thorough any holes in the firewall or floor such as removed A/C hoses for the possibly old no longer working A/C!

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

but this smells like straight gasoline on my shirt as if it was misted on.
                StudeRich
                Rich, I think I found it, the black knobs under the dash that pull out for air to come into the cab were stuck open and air comes in all the time, I will work on fixing that, as for the AC, the unit is complete and blows nicely so I dont think its getting in there
                the small hole just behind the distributor on the fire wall is my other culprit

Comment

I will also take a pic with the hopes someone can tell me what an item is
                  it looks like a tire valve stem cap and its white, just under the dash near the hood release handle

Comment

I don't know what it is on YOUR year Stude, but on the '65 it's the rheostat for the instrument lights (twist to dim).As far as the fuel smell is concerned a hole in the trunk floor may be the culprit. Also, check around the area of the fuel vent tube,if so equipped. Hope this helps.

Comment

Nice list deepn, but you forgot one item...DON'T SMOKE!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty65

I don't know what it is on YOUR year Stude, but on the '65 it's the rheostat for the instrument lights (twist to dim).As far as the fuel smell is concerned a hole in the trunk floor may be the culprit. Also, check around the area of the fuel vent tube,if so equipped. Hope this helps.
                        thanks Rusty, that might explain why my instrument lights have been off

Comment

TAPE THE ENTIRE TRUNK SEAM CLOSED WITH A TWO INCH WIDE T]APE. THEN SEE IF IT STILL SMELLS AFTER THE TAPPNG.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

TAPE THE ENTIRE TRUNK SEAM CLOSED WITH A TWO INCH WIDE T]APE. THEN SEE IF IT STILL SMELLS AFTER THE TAPPNG.
                            I think you hit the nail on the head, I went and lifted up my floorboard where my spare is kept and the fuel smell is so strong, there is a cut out where the fuel sender unit fits into the tank, and im not sure if there is suppose to be a cover or not but its not there, so here is what im thinking, while driving, the draft from under the car is hitting up near the rear end/gas tank and sending the fumes into the cabin and its then bouncing off the rear window and making its way to the open drivers door window

I never noticed it when the top was open and rear window was down

cue the CSI music lol

now I gotta find a way to cover that hole

Comment

quote:
                              now I gotta find a way to cover that hole
                              Round piece of masonite/Henry's roofing cement.

BINGO!

Comment

Working...
                              X