No announcement yet.

Fuel smells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That must be the cowl air inlet area water DRAIN!

There should be a rubber drain hose in that hole with an elbow on it to shoot it down right into your right body mount, that just hlps to make sure you buy a new Studebaker every 7 years max!

That would help keep the engine smells out of the air intake though. The right Air vent needs to always be open to make the Heater work.

Even though you have found your major problem, this one could contribute also! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

the small hole just behind the distributor on the fire wall is my other culprit

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Get a real sender cover. Easy to find. Use a thin silcone sealer. Sounds like your sender needs a sealer too, if it isn't your car running too rich.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Get a real sender cover. Easy to find. Use a thin silcone sealer. Sounds like your sender needs a sealer too, if it isn't your car running too rich.

A sealer for the sender? as in the gasket? it has a gasket but not sure if it leaks

Rich, I will block off that hole, but I dont want it to look obvious, would a rubber plug look ok? or would it scream Mod lol[8D]

1964 Daytona Wagonaire 259cid flight o matic with AC

Comment

just figured I would show you guys where the fuel smell was coming in and how I managed to fix the problem

I put some very tightly wrapped plastic in between the hoses, this pic was showing where it went in at, when it was placed all the way in, it is not noticble which is cool.

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
          259cid flight o matic

"IT'S BAD LUCK TO BE SUPERSTITIOUS"

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head, I went and lifted up my floorboard where my spare is kept and the fuel smell is so strong, there is a cut out where the fuel sender unit fits into the tank, and im not sure if there is suppose to be a cover or not but its not there, so here is what im thinking, while driving, the draft from under the car is hitting up near the rear end/gas tank and sending the fumes into the cabin and its then bouncing off the rear window and making its way to the open drivers door window

I never noticed it when the top was open and rear window was down

An additional thought- You should NOT be getting any fuel smell when you lift the rear well cover (let alone a strong one), whether there's a plug or not! You have a gas tank leak- it could be around the sender, but is more likely rust-through at a seam or at the top; there is usually an insulator between the tank and floor that can attract and hold moisture.

I recommend taking the time to drop the tank and look it over- I'm betting you find a leak!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Just a thought, from that picture, it looks like the valve cover vent is next to the heater hoses, and the hole in the firewall. If you are suffering from excessive blowby, you could have a lot of gas smell coming out of the crankcase. Secondly, I agree with Bob, check your fuel sending unit, as the temperature has dropped, I have noticed that I am getting a lot of fuel smell, and especially when the car is full of gas. It is apparent that the cold weather has caused that gasket to leak slightly.

Comment

I have owned many old cars but for some reason this one is giving me a fuel smell in the cabin, I only notice it after I walk in the house and smell my shirt.I cant find any leaks, only thing I can think of is possibly the exhaust is somehow getting into the car, I have dual flowmasters that dump under the car right past the drivers seat, about where the passengers feet would be. its a brand new exhaust system so I know there are no leaks, but I really want to fix this

any ideas?
                If you haven't already, you may want to go back and review these Forum discussions:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=19405

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Just a thought, from that picture, it looks like the valve cover vent is next to the heater hoses, and the hole in the firewall. If you are suffering from excessive blowby, you could have a lot of gas smell coming out of the crankcase. Secondly, I agree with Bob, check your fuel sending unit, as the temperature has dropped, I have noticed that I am getting a lot of fuel smell, and especially when the car is full of gas. It is apparent that the cold weather has caused that gasket to leak slightly.
                  I had an original orange breather that had a hose hook up to it but there was no hose connected, so it was open to the compartment, I have since replaced them with MR Gasket push in style and it seems better, also there was a slight leak around the fuel sending unit and tank due to the gasket having a small tear, so I replaced that and it seems to be much better, no more fuel smells

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                  259cid flight o matic

Comment

You should NEVER smell raw gas. Tha's a sure sign that something is leaking. If your smelling oil vapor and/or exhaust fumes they're each a different potential problem and may come from the same or different sources.
                    If your tank is leaking be sure to check out www.gastankrenu.com for the very best fix available at any price. (Even better than a brand new tank)

Comment

Working...
                    X