No announcement yet.

Pertronix kit for '56 Power Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Pertronix kit for '56 Power Hawk?

Can anyone tell me if there’s a Petronix kit for my 1956 Power Hawk’s distributor? I have looked at several of the discussions on this subject but have not seen a kit number listed. The Petronix site is not clear on what will work. Thanks
    Marshall.

Contact Fairborn Studebaker. Phil will fix you up...

Comment

Mridgway , when you talk to Phil, would you please post the part number of the kit he recommends for the benefit of future readers? Thanks!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Phil and I both have them in Stock: Pertronix Number 1187LS, if you have the Stock Early Delco Non-Window Distributor.

You also need the Higher Output Coil.

It is easy to spot the correct '51 to '59 and to '61 on Hawks Delco Distributor, the Rotor looks very distinctive, like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Early Delco.JPG Views:	0 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	1813851 Click image for larger version  Name:	Early Delco2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	1813859
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2019, 05:16 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found a cheap one here. Just bear in mind that you have to change out the coil for a higher output one...

Don't fret over the listing mentioning Chevy or Pontiac, it's the same distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
            I found a cheap one here. Just bear in mind that you have to change out the coil for a higher output one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-1...MAAOSwZuRZ243D

Don't fret over the listing mentioning Chevy or Pontiac, it's the same distributor.
            QUOTE KMJ Performance:
            "This part is not compatible with 1955 Chevrolet Two-Ten Series Base Sedan 2-Door 4.3L 4343CC 265Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated."

"This doesn't fit a 1955 Chevrolet Two-Ten Series Base Sedan 2-Door 4.3L 4343CC 265Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated"

Don't buy this for a Studebaker with a Early Delco Non-Window Dist. though!
            Grumpy (James), did you not look at the non-Window Dist. Rotor Pic I posted?

I THOUGHT it had been said here enough times that people would remember, do NOT believe ANY Websites even Pertronix, for Studebaker Parts, only a Studebaker Vendor knows the Cars well enough to sell you the Correct Parts.

The 10 to $20.00 you might save, will be spent returning the Parts.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-19-2019, 01:41 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like to shy away from 'cheap one' ignition parts as I really don't care all that much for standing alongside the road waiting for AAA to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

QUOTE KMJ Performance:
                "This part is not compatible with 1955 Chevrolet Two-Ten Series Base Sedan 2-Door 4.3L 4343CC 265Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated."

"This doesn't fit a 1955 Chevrolet Two-Ten Series Base Sedan 2-Door 4.3L 4343CC 265Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated"

Don't buy this for a Studebaker with a Early Delco Non-Window Dist. though!
                Grumpy (James), did you not look at the non-Window Dist. Rotor Pic I posted?

I THOUGHT it had been said here enough times that people would remember, do NOT believe ANY Websites even Pertronix, for Studebaker Parts, only a Studebaker Vendor knows the Cars well enough to sell you the Correct Parts.

The 10 to $20.00 you might save, will be spent returning the Parts.

Uh, I ignored that as well and only considered the Pertronix part # which matched the one that I had installed in my '55 Prez and purchased from Ted Harbit a couple of decades ago...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                  Uh, I ignored that as well and only considered the Pertronix part # which matched the one that I had installed in my '55 Prez and purchased from Ted Harbit a couple of decades ago...
                  So James, that means you actually had a '60 or '61 Lark 12 Volt Delco Window Dist. in your 1955 6 Volt President, instead of the Original correct one?
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Um, what the hull are you talking about???

The original poster mentioned a '56 Power Hawk!

Do try to keep up with the point of discussion, OK???

Comment

Just cant wait to see how this winds up!Luck Doofus

Comment

It "Winds up" like this:
                        Post Number 4 makes it VERY clear which Pertronix unit is needed for a STOCK Early Delco Distributor in a '56 to '59 Studebaker V8, or a '60 to '61 Hawk.

The ONLY confusion happens when Post #5 says a 1181LS (was used) which is for a Late Delco Window Distributor in a '57-'74 Chev. that will not work on '55-'56 Chev. or '56-'59 Studes. It takes an 1187LS, It is THAT simple.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Phil and I both have them in Stock: Pertronix Number 1187LS, if you have the Stock Early Delco Non-Window Distributor.

You also need the Higher Output Coil.

}[/ATTACH]
                          Curious as to your recommendation on a higher output coil. I have at least four Pertronix systems operating with the stock coil for years and they run fine. Also, most of the people who have had Pertronix failures have been using high output coils, whatever that means.

Would you explain, please?
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Sure Roy, I just followed Ted and Phil's recommendation FOR V8's and the same in the Pertronix Igniter instructions to use the #40011, 40,000 Volt, 1.5 OHM Flame Thrower Coil with the Ignitor I Electronic Ignition Systems.

The #45011 45,000 Volt, 0.06 OHM Flame Thrower II Coil is used for the Igniter II Ignition Systems.

The Igniter III Ignition Systems get the 0.32 OHM Hottest Coil.
                            These are all Oil filled, and Epoxy Filled are available for off-road, rough road use with high vibration.

The Pertronix Chart shows that you get about 479% of available voltage at 3000 RPM with an Igniter II AND a Flame Thrower II Coil.

You get about 195% of available voltage at 2100 RPM with an Igniter II AND a Stock OEM Coil.

With Stock Points and Coil you get 98% of available voltage at 0 to 7000 RPM, a flat line.

Did I believe their Hyperbole or the Truth?
                            Don't know, what I do know is; I and most of my friends that I sold them to are happy with them, except one that did burn out the Flame Thrower I, (made in China) my Cars and Truck have never burned out a Flame Thrower II (made in USA), THAT could be the important difference.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank You Stude Rich! Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X