Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too risky to remove back glass on a c-cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Is it too risky to remove back glass on a c-cab?

Really paranoid about this one, I want to media blast a c-cab, but really hate the idea of popping out the back glass. just the idea of getting it back in without breaking it...

to those who have done this, how hard is getting that glass in, with the soap and rope method? I've done it before on an old Ford, but there the risk was alleviated by the fact you can still get that glass without too much trouble. I don't see that being the case with old Studes.

Any input?

You didn’t mention year of truck , the early ones have flat glass . Depending how old the rubber is you will most likely need a new rubber , these are usually very easy to install .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

When in doubt, Call a glass shop and let them do it. I usually farm it out to somebody that has done it a LOT more than me!
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Procedure is in the shop manual. You will pop the glass IN, not out. All C-cab glass is removed toward the inside and installed from the inside. It has to do with the width of the weather seal.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You will need a new gasket and two people, one to push with his/her feet from the inside and and one to pull on the rope from the outside. It is best not done in bitterly cold weather.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

If removing and installing with a new rubber just take a stanley knife and cut the lip of the old rubber holding it in and removal is a piece of cake.

Comment

What year truck you have is kinda critical to me. An R series from 49-53 has a flat back glass. Break that and you can buy another.
              The Newer C-Cabs 55-59 are kinda Unobtainium. Only used that I know can be found.
              I left mine in for a blaster that stated "Naw We wont hurt it" only to get the glass pock marked and the windshield broken.
              I now have new rubber and some used glass, but still don't have it put back in.
              May not at this point, the project has stalled.
              Last edited by Mrs K Corbin; 10-10-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Put mine back in after it blew out in a windstorm. Couldn't be that hard to remove. Cut the lip off the old gasket and the window comes right out. The re-install was super easy. I've started using Dow-Corning stopcock grease. It never hardens, seems to seal well, and the windows go in easily with the string method. I use polypropylene baler twine since it is slippery and just the right size. A lot of glass shops have no idea how to install glass with a rubber gasket!

Comment

Working...
                X