Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It just looks better..............Studebaker Avanti and others.............p/s cover grommet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: It just looks better..............Studebaker Avanti and others.............p/s cover grommet

Now I know I am anal but.........below the wing nut Studebaker utilized a flat plain washer and below the washer a flat piece of rubber.......a better method (thanks to FoMoCo) was a great rubber grommet that when faced down actually fits into the top of the p/s cover, and then your flat steel washer goes on top and is pushed down by the wing nut. I have never liked using just the flat piece of rubber Studebaker used........Ford had a better idea!
    Grommet is Fel-Pro number: 10740. Yes I know its no big deal..........but like I said I am anal about anything on my Avanti;-)
    Last edited by showbizkid; 09-23-2019, 06:14 AM.

Make sure that you are not blocking the vent or pressure release path for the reservoir.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
      Make sure that you are not blocking the vent or pressure release path for the reservoir.
      Great heads up..........the grommet is hollow in the middle;-)

Comment

Guess what, that is actually the CORRECT Studebaker Grommet! Cars without it are WRONG/ Modified!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well if what you claim is in fact true, then why is this grommet not listed in the Avanti or any other Stude parts book?

Comment

Stude actually called it a gasket: part number 1553299.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              Stude actually called it a gasket: part number 1553299.
              Not the same, this is a flat piece of rubber, not a rubber grommet.

Comment

The ones I got years ago from N&A were T-shaped and fit down in the hole in the lid.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Here it is!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

The grommet that goes in the rocker cover for the studs to pass through works great for the power steering cover too. The Ford filler cap (which for some reason the Studebaker does not have ) has a vent in it.

Comment

Pardon my slow memory in recalling the vent detail pertaining to flat rubber gasket and flat washer listed as "#1548198 Washer (special)". The flat washer is special due to a radial slot or groove, approx. 1/16" wide and about the same in depth on the back side, providing the needed venting channel for the reservoir. Today most of those washers have been swapped for plain flat washer, defeating the necessary venting. The lack of slot is easy to rectify with a hacksaw blade or dremel tool.

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Comment

Amazing!......just scored ten of the little buggers..........just looked under a different application!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0005.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1804351

Comment

Working...
                          X