Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Is this a Studebaker engine? (w/ pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Studebaker engine? (w/ pics)

As part of a deal I recently acquired a flathead 6-cylnder engine that had been retrofitted into Jeep. The engine apparently runs decently, but the owner didn't know what make or model it is. I think I've narrowed it down to being a Studebaker, but that's as far as I got. Can anyone confirm that, or (better yet) identify what model of engine it is?

I did find what I think is a casting number on the lower right (passenger) side of the block. The number is 1548332-3.

Thanks!

It certainly looks like a Champion engine, but I don't have that casting number in my files. Besides, the casting number should be on the driver's side, very low on the block and just forward of the distributor. Clean that area with a wire bush and check the number again. Also on the drivers side, check for a stamped engine number at top, front of engine block

Dwain G.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

It certainly looks like a Champion engine, but I don't have that casting number in my files. Besides, the casting number should be on the driver's side, very low on the block and just forward of the distributor. Clean that area with a wire bush and check the number again. Also on the drivers side, check for a stamped engine number at top, front of engine block

Dwain G.
      That would be my guess too. Studebaker engine-to-Jeep swaps were actually fairly common years ago. Even a Champion engine was a power house compared to the Jeep engines.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It sure looks like the engine like I have in a 51 Champ. It's a six L-head engine with a displacement of 169.6 cu. and develops 85 hp @2400 rpm. Uses a full pressure lubrication system. Your engine has the same motor mount location as the 51 I have. However the casting number for the engine I have is located just above the pan, in the center of the engine, on the drivers side and is 524807-14. Also check the head casting number, on mine it is 529218. There should be a engine serial number on that flat spot you see on your engine just behind the water pump on the drivers side. Clean off that spot and post the number.

Regards,
        Jerry Johnson

Comment

It's definitely a Champion six, can't tell if its a 170 or 185 from here.

If you look close at the second picture from the top, you can see the serial number boss on the block just below the alternator stay brace.

Read the number STAMPED into that boss, and it should be possible to definitively identify it. Studebaker used an upper-case "I" to represent the numeral "1", by the way.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks, guys! You've been more help than anyone else I've asked about this.

I'll be working on this engine with a friend, and it's currently at her place. I've asked her to check on the number behind the alternator.

A few other detail we noticed this past weekend:

One of the valve covers has stamped in it "VALVE CLEAR .015 COLD".

There are a couple characters cast into the top of the head (you can see them in the second photo). One distinct one is kind of an odd looking capital "N".

The carb that was mounted on it (the carb and manifold were detached when I got them) is a Carter model BBR-1.

Do there facts support it being a Champion engine? Better yet, are they be enough to determine a specific engine model?

Comment

The 'N' could certainly be part of a date code.

Dwain G.

Comment

On trucks, at least, the oil filler tube is toward the back of the block, aft of the distributor. Is the oil filler tube that far forward in Champion cars?

Here's a Champion engine from the 1950 Stude truck brochure, next to a commander engine:

p.s. Sorry, guys. I thought I had edited it so that a thumbnail showed up. Let me do that again:

Click thumbnail for much larger image.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Yes, that is where the oil filler tube is on my 185. The fuel line in the top photo is also going to where the fuel pump should be.

1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.
                  1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

Wow - That Pic is easy to see, even without my glases [8D]

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    51 Champion
                    Phil
                    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I should have a number for you guys this evening, but in the meantime here's a photo of the markings on the top of the head. Any idea what they mean?

Comment

That is an 8-hour 'clock' and a day-night shift indicator. I think the date code is below it and appears to end in an 'O'. For some reason Stude often tried to obliterate the date codes.

Dwain G.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

On trucks, at least, the oil filler tube is toward the back of the block, aft of the distributor. Is the oil filler tube that far forward in Champion cars?

Here's a Champion engine from the 1950 Stude truck brochure, next to a commander engine:

p.s. Sorry, guys. I thought I had edited it so that a thumbnail showed up. Let me do that again:

Click thumbnail for much larger image.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon
                          Isnt it amazing how the engines in Stude brochures are almost never painted same colors as actual engines.<G>

Comment

Alright, we found an engine serial number! It's 527169, followed by a superscript "9" over a subscript "RC". Can someone point me to where I can find some engine specs based on that?

Comment

Looks like it is a 1955 Champion 185 CI. Look it up here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp

Probably about mid model year.

Comment

Working...
                              X