how am I gonna fix this? Trunk lock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how am I gonna fix this? Trunk lock.

Well, I unlocked my deck lid on my 63 lark this morning and promply closed it when I realized what I needed was not in the trunk. I then realized that what I needed was indeed in my trunk, and when I went to open it, the key just spun around in circles in the lock mechanism. It looks like there is no way to open the trunk at this point. I found out that if I remove the rear seat and the cardboard backing, I can get into the trunk that way, but my question is, will I be able to remove the lock mechanism from the inside without opening the trunk? I have not crawled in all the way to take a close look at it yet, but I thought I could pick some brains before I hurt myself trying the wrong thing. (plus, I have an aversion to small enclosed spaces) Any help would be much appreciated. (oh, by the way, thanks to all of you for the help in the past on my previous questions!!)

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

One of the inherent weaknesses of the 62-3 cars has happened. The chincy pot metal truck lock cam has broken and can no longer trip the latch[V] I believe a trip into the trunk is in store for you!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rather than removing the lock mechanism just take the 2 screws out of the u shaped latch on the body, much easier and quicker. Ask me how I know

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'd just pull the u-clips that hold the lock cylinder. Once that's out, you can actuate the latch with a finger thru the hole.

BTW, if anyone with machine skills wants to recreate this part in aluminum with a CNC, I'd be in for one (and I'm sure a bunch other '62/'63 owners would, too). It took me 2 years to locate the NOS one I've got on the car now, and when that one fails I foresee either another long search or carving one out of mahogany!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, the U-clip can be cantankerous whereas Frank's approach (if I remember right, 'cause I've had to do this in the past) you can do with a 7/16ths socket and a bunch of extensions if you're too big to fit thru to the trunk.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree with the method of unscrewing the lower hook from the body. Its true that you don't even have to crawl into the trunk to get it done. As said above, just use a monster length extension.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like I am gonna have fun getting a new shaft... oh well, its all good!!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

quote:BTW, if anyone with machine skills wants to recreate this part in aluminum with a CNC, I'd be in for one (and I'm sure a bunch other '62/'63 owners would, too). It took me 2 years to locate the NOS one I've got on the car now, and when that one fails I foresee either another long search or carving one out of mahogany!
                I've got a NOS one as well, yet to be installed. If someone would be willing to CNC the part, I'd remove the cam from the lock mechanism and let them borrow it. Any takers?

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'll look-see if I have a used one kickin' about in the shop. It's a possibility.[8)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Unless the CNC part were to be made from steel, it would soon fail, too. Problem is, the section thickness is too small to support the load in less-than-ideal conditions.

I repaired one such lock by bending up the crank portion from 1/4" key stock, welding it to a thin steel plate, and bolting that plate to the remainder of the old part via two small tapped holes.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Whew!, Thank goodness I've got a Transtar.[}]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                      May 23-25, 2009?
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                      X