Question for long time owners of Studebaker Avantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Question for long time owners of Studebaker Avantis

So I need you all to search back to all the years that you have owned your Avantis.

Today something happened that has never previously happened in the 50 plus years I have owned my Avanti.

I filled the gas tank today at my local station.........when I say fill, I mean I put gas in to about 3/4 fill, never higher.
    Always careful to not allow any gas to "shoot" out from the neck.

Ok, so I drive away and head to the garage. On the driveway while stopped, I spot what turned out to be a very SLOW drip of gas coming down from the bottom lip of the drivers side front Q panel?????? I ran my fingers along the bottom and felt gas in only one spot.......the gas continued to drip for maybe three or four minutes, then permanently stopped. No other release of gas was seen or noted.

As I stated, this has never happened before..........any ideas as to what is going on?

fuel leak issue

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    So I need you all to search back to all the years that you have owned your Avantis.

Today something happened that has never previously happened in the 50 plus years I have owned my Avanti.

I filled the gas tank today at my local station.........when I say fill, I mean I put gas in to about 3/4 fill, never higher.
    Always careful to not allow any gas to "shoot" out from the neck.

Ok, so I drive away and head to the garage. On the driveway while stopped, I spot what turned out to be a very SLOW drip of gas coming down from the bottom lip of the drivers side front Q panel?????? I ran my fingers along the bottom and felt gas in only one spot.......the gas continued to drip for maybe three or four minutes, then permanently stopped. No other release of gas was seen or noted.

As I stated, this has never happened before..........any ideas as to what is going on?
    it has to be leaking from the rubber hose connection between the filler pipe and the tank or the gasket between the sending unit and the tank has failed and fuel is finding it's way down from there.
    gfperry

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
      it has to be leaking from the rubber hose connection between the filler pipe and the tank or the gasket between the sending unit and the tank has failed and fuel is finding it's way down from there.
      I will tell you that I replaced the entire gas line about 18 months ago, (Cunifer) and every piece of rubber with high pressure fuel injection spec hose. About 20 years ago I did remove the gas tank to boil it out, I put a new rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank itself. I do not remember if I replaced the tank sending unit gasket to be honest?

I guess I will have to play close attention on the next trip to the gas station. If those items failed, the why did the leak stop after just a few minutes?

Comment

The only thing I can think would be in the area you mention is the line drain that is almost under the drivers seat left side. Without being right there when it leaks it is hard to diagnose where the fuel comes from.

Comment

The fill rubber collar may be a bit loose or degraded, allowing a bit of leakage during the fill operation. Best to remove the back seat panel and have a look. Also check the tank for evidence of fuel seepage on the end plates and spot rivets while you are at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            The only thing I can think would be in the area you mention is the line drain that is almost under the drivers seat left side. Without being right there when it leaks it is hard to diagnose where the fuel comes from.
            Alan I removed the drain fitting when I replaced all the gas line. The gas line was all dry, just this crazy tiny leak under the Q-panel lip. As I said it stopped leaking after about 4 minutes.

Comment

Years ago when I had the tank out i had the radiator shop tack pennies on top of every spot weld. What is the rubber collar?.....are you speaking ``of p/n 1554674 gasket?
              Originally posted by WCP View Post
              The fill rubber collar may be a bit loose or degraded, allowing a bit of leakage during the fill operation. Best to remove the back seat panel and have a look. Also check the tank for evidence of fuel seepage on the end plates and spot rivets while you are at it.

Comment

No. Part number 1554436.

Comment

No. Part number 1554436.
                  What you call a rubber collar, is that the rubber "hose" that connects the neck of the gas tank to the metal collar behind the gas door on the q-panel?

Comment

Gentlemen, before I begin to remove the rear interior, can you advise the order of removal of the gas tank filler hose?..........does the galvanized fill neck have to be removed to fit the new rubber hose on the gas tank neck? Just want to be prepared for the 'deed' Thanks to all for the assistance.

Comment

Yes. That is the preferred approach. Once the tank is exposed loosen the 2 band clamps on the "hose" and remove the galvanized fill port, followed by the hose. Assemble in the reverse order, locate the hose mid-point in the gap between port and tank neck and tighten the band clamps. If the alignment of fill port and tank neck is off, then you may have to loosen the tank to body band clamps and move the tank laterally to correct the alignment. Flow into the tank should be straight down with no distortion of the "hose". The most time consuming part of the process is accessing the tank - seat bottom, back and compartment panel removal.

Comment

Yes. That is the preferred approach. Once the tank is exposed loosen the 2 band clamps on the "hose" and remove the galvanized fill port, followed by the hose. Assemble in the reverse order, locate the hose mid-point in the gap between port and tank neck and tighten the band clamps. If the alignment of fill port and tank neck is off, then you may have to loosen the tank to body band clamps and move the tank laterally to correct the alignment. Flow into the tank should be straight down with no distortion of the "hose". The most time consuming part of the process is accessing the tank - seat bottom, back and compartment panel removal.
                        Many thanks for the fast response! It has been about 20 years since I pulled the tank, and did not remember exactly how to go about the process...LOL there is always something to do on an Avanti.............has to be, after all I have owned her since she was three years old:-).....I do laugh when non car folks comment about how good the car is for its age.........they just have no clue as to the time effort and cash it takes over many years to keep these cars on the road and safe.

Comment

Any gasket cement needed on the galvanized fill port neck?........or just place the gasket "naked"?

Comment

No - just tighten the band clamps firmly. Any gasket cement at that location runs the risk of finding its way into the fuel stream and causing stickiness in the carburetor IMHO.

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X