Oil filter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil filter problem

The threads are stripped on my oil filter mount. What's the best fix?
    peter lee

Purchase a new one from one of our parts venders.

Comment

Must a been to Quick-Change. Need to replace it with good used or new. Tighten 2/3 to 3/4 turn past the point where gasket meets flange. Check for leaks when donewith oil change!

Comment

The spin-on Oil Filter Bases come in two types, the 1958 to Early 1962 partial flow Type, and the Late '62 to '64 full flow type. To buy one you need to know which you have.

Last edited by StudeRich; 08-17-2019, 09:31 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The spin-on Oil Filter Bases come in two types, the 1958 to Early 1962 partial flow Type, and the Late '62 to '64 full flow type. To buy one you need to know which you have.

http://studebakervendors.com
          I agree with you, but AFAIK, the only Studebaker that he owns is a 1956 Sky Hawk.
          I do not know what threads he is referring to (or how it happened). The solution is still to buy new parts.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OPPS, found his Car, a '56 Sky Hawk and it's Engine Pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Hawk 289.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1729221 I don't know how you ruin that inside threaded Tube in the center of a Walker, Fram, Purolator or whatever canister that is, but now the whole thing is toast unless a tap would re-thread it.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your filter is a Fram and uses a C4 cartridge. I agree with Rich, it's really tough to destroy the thread in the center tube unless it is somehow cross threaded. If the filter housing is damaged beyond repair, someone here should have a good used one for sale. Bud

Comment

I have a good used filter assembly.

Comment

Thanks. I'll pass the information on to my mechanic Joe. He's probably on his way to far Tortuga (wherever the heck that is) on his multi-million dollar yacht by now.
                  peter lee

Comment

The Tortugas are the last islands in the Keys in Florida...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      OPPS, found his Car, a '56 Sky Hawk and it's Engine Pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83334[/ATTACH]
                      That's actually a pic of MY engine bay; on the '56 Sky Hawk I bought last month. Body #1258. But I assume he would have the same filter canister.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                        The threads are stripped on my oil filter mount.(?) What's the best fix?
                        Maybe I'm missing something...but I consider the MOUNT entirely a different item than the filter and it's canister. My understanding is that the mount is the bracket assembly that attaches the filter unit to the oil fill tube. Stripped mount would simply be bolts & nuts...right?
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          ... the mount is the bracket assembly that attaches the filter unit to the oil fill tube. Stripped mount would simply be bolts & nuts...right?
                          That was my impression of the original inquiry. Peter's mechanic needs to clarify.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not every car out there is exactly the way it was built 60+ years later. It’s possible that Peter’s Hawk has the later spin on filter with the aluminum base and that’s what has stripped out.

Either way.. Figure out what you have and what you need and call up your favorite Studebaker vendor and order one. Parts aren’t hard to find.

Comment

What John Clary and Rockne-10 said...

Comment

Working...
                              X