No announcement yet.

Mechanical fuel pump noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point Joe, I was trying to keep the car as close as possible to a traditional 50s type build but if I have any more grief it will have a hidden electric pump.
    Good luck, Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by 55zephyr View Post
      Good point Joe, I was trying to keep the car as close as possible to a traditional 50s type build but if I have any more grief it will have a hidden electric pump.
      Good luck, Ron.
      I can appreciate keeping a hot rod/street rod period correct. Some of my best memories are of the Pomona Swap Meet, which I attended frequently in the 1980s-90s. I drooled over the old flathead Ford powered rods, the primitive welding, 12" drum brakes modified to fit, etc.. But with today's gas, a modern electric pump sure would be a temptation, if actually driving the rod.

Comment

you are lucky it works! Don't leave home without a spare!

Comment

55Zephyr, I've got the same noise happening on the same size engine and pump, only yesterday I was up and down the freeway after making timing adjustments thinking the engine was pinging when under load but to no avail, then I thought I may have a valve problem but after reading yours and Joe's posts I now know exactly where to start fixing the problem, a weak spring in the fuel pump. Thank you Harryhawk

Comment

Hi All, resurrecting this thread. I just installed a newly purchased Carter 2211 (btw, stamped 2211BD, and had epoxy sealing over the pin ends from the mfr.) and have the same occurrence of the tapping noise, worse as described at higher RPM. I noticed the different shape of the (laminated steel) actuator arm before installing- straighter and less of an angle on the contact area as also pointed out. I should point out that the application is on a later model (1964) 289.

Before we go off on the "rebuild an older USA Carter", or " get a Mopar pump", or "put in an electric pump" points of view (all with merit, I understand), what have people found as an actual fix for this on these pumps?

Have others stretched the spring , or maybe replaced it, to actually make it work without noise? Can the arm be replaced with a different shaped arm? What can be done?
            Thanks!
            -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
            1960 Metropolitan Convertible
            1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
            1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

The Fix is any one of the three you mentioned, none of which, are re-using the AC Design, Airtex Mfg. Pump sold as any Brand that buys them.

I always use a "Real" Carter pump, never electric.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X