Mechanical fuel pump noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Mechanical fuel pump noise

Hi all, I'm running a 259 Stude in my rod and have just replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a new unit. When I took it out for a test drive it went well but from about 2,000 rpm onwards there was quite a loud ticking noise/rattle . When I put the new pump on I noticed that the actuating arm was at a straighter angle than the old unit so it would not be in constant contact with the cam. Anyone had this problem? and if so what's the answer to it?

The lest time I heard one of the Airtec pumps, it sounded like a real loose exhaust/intake valve, that came and went. Have not ran a mechanical pump since the 1990s.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-03-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      The lest time I heard one of the Airtec pumps, it sounded like a real loose exhaust/intake valve, that came and went. Have not ran a mechanical pump since the 1990s.
      That's the noise Joe, just wondered if there was a quick fix.
      Cheers, Ron.

Comment

I have heard the MOPAR 318 pump was adaptable to the Stude V8, but requires a mod to the actuating arm. I believe Phil Harris, at Fairborn Studebaker sell them, modified to fit. They supposedly pump a bit more volume too, if I understand correctly.

Comment

sorry for the tangent, but c'mon...post a photo your car! I need a good hotrod fix this am. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Got my hot rod fix yesterday at the Louisville Street Rod Nationals. It was almost system overload though. LOL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	27244480450_4f10eb2edc_b (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1729029Click image for larger version

Name:	27374141110_0c80e2eb77_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1729030

Hi, Junior it's a 31 Ford model A, but running much sweeter with the stude power.
              Cheers, Ron.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 55zephyr; 08-03-2019, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I know this noise well.
                When I replaced the old pump with a new one, also the pump makes noise from 2000rpm onwards.
                I removed the pump and checked the pump. The springload of the pump arm was too low, so the arm do not hold the contact to the cam and makes that noise.
                After reinstalling of the old pump for a test, the problem was solved.
                Last edited by gsx_martin; 08-04-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

It looks like I will be putting the old pump back on then. I replaced it because the engine needed turning over quite a few times to start if left for a couple of weeks, thinking the fuel was leaking back through the pump over that period.
                  Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by 55zephyr View Post
                    It looks like I will be putting the old pump back on then. I replaced it because the engine needed turning over quite a few times to start if left for a couple of weeks, thinking the fuel was leaking back through the pump over that period.
                    Cheers, Ron.
                    Fuel is evaporating from the carb. Common with all of ours. Todays fuel does this.

Comment

Originally posted by 55zephyr View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]83007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83008[/ATTACH]

Hi, Junior it's a 31 Ford model A, but running much sweeter with the stude power.
                      Cheers, Ron.
                      Thanks for the photos...love the traditional vibe of your car! Hopefully I'll get my butt out to a car show today and expecting there to be some good rods there. Sadly my stude won't be making the trip...late last night I decided to change the clutch fluid...a simple job that didn't end well. oh well. cheers, junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                        Fuel is evaporating from the carb. Common with all of ours. Todays fuel does this.
                        Thanks for the reply RD, it does take quite a few tries to get the fuel up though. If there was fuel in the pump I think it would start quicker.
                        cheers, Ron.

Comment

I would consider installing an electric fuel pump to use to prime the system and retain the mechanical pump as well. I have this setup on most of the Studebakers I have and it works great. Saves on starters, batteries, vapor lock and frustration. As was said, today's fuels evaporate quicker. Not a problem on today's cars since all fuel systems are of the closed variety, but a problem for our open type fuel systems.
                          Last edited by 41 Frank; 08-04-2019, 02:29 PM.
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I've just changed the body of the new pump onto the arm unit of the old pump and I think I've solved my problem. One of the valves in the old body looks as though it would leak by, the rubber being lopsided. Rattle gone and hopefully holding a head of fuel in the pump. I think today's fuel is to blame for quite a few problems.
                            Cheers. Ron.

Comment

Why not just switch to a modern electric fuel pump that is compatible with modern gas? I was at the Louisville Annual Street Rod National Meet two days ago and, as usual, there were many thousands of rods there. I did not take a poll, but willing to bet the majority of them have electric pumps. Running a mechanical pump only makes sense to folks who are concerned with originality. Otherwise, it's hard to justify. I have not ran one since the late 1980s, or early 1990s.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 08-04-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X