Timing marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Timing marks

Sorry, I know this is a basic question. I have a '50 Champion and I've seen some conflicting information about setting the ignition timing. Using the IGN mark on the pulley as the setpoint, I'm not clear about where exactly I should set it in that range. There are the IGN letters that are bracketed by two lines. Does one set the timing on one of the lines or somewhere in the middle? Thanks.

Set the timing on the IGN line with the idle slow and the vacuum advance disconnected.

Look carefully at the picture in the shop manual. One line is for top dead center and the other line is ignition. Take a yellow grease pencil and brighten up the IGN line, once you figure out which line that is.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The Two Lines are 4 Degrees apart, about a 3/8 Inch to the Car's LEFT of the UDC Mark is the IGN Mark.

Use a little White Out correction fluid to paint the IGN Line and the Pointer Tip for easy timing.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I've marked mine in yellow, the "T" is TDC, or UDC as Studebaker called it, The "I" is the timing mark 4 degrees from it. I added the other 5 degree increment marks.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1727973

Comment

What are we looking at there Rick, a GM Engine or what?

Without the prospective of where on the Engine that is, (wider view) and which way is Forward, it does not resemble ANYTHING Studebaker, so likely will not help with a Stock '50 Champion.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I zoomed in so you could see and read the marks. It's a Studebaker.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1727993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1727994

Comment

Working...
            X