Ever heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Ever heard of this?

Gang - A good friend gave me a Thunderbolt 283 that I tore down over the past few days. He said it wasn't running right, when it did run, years ago. I think I found out why.
    Removed the first head without trouble however when I lifted the second one off the block, there was NO gasket there. ??? I've cleaned both surfaces with degreaser just to be sure.
    Ever seen something like this? There couldn't be much if any compression on that side of the engine and I found gooey thick oil that resembled lithium grease at the top of the cylinders.

In addition, three of the eight pistons were installed with the stamped numbers facing the wrong way and the first hydraulic lifter had a depression from where it meets the cam.

I plan to take the block, heads, crank, pistons & rods and cam into the machine shop for hot tanking & magnafluxing. Hoping it's not all toast!

Looks like a beginner took a stab at rebuilding the motor without even a manual let alone any common sense. I hope it turns out right for you. I've seen these sort of things when tearing down motorcycle engines for folks after they complained about their bike not running well. When I'd ask them, "Who's been into this thing?" they usually blamed it on a relative or in one instance their son! One guy admitted to trying to save money by doing it himself. I found his honesty so refreshing that I told him doing it himself didn't save him any money but that I give him a break on the repair. It pays to have the job done right in the first place.

Comment

Well...I have a solid alibi...it wasn't me...I've not been within a thousand miles of the great northwest in over 40 years!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Well...I have a solid alibi...it wasn't me...I've not been within a thousand miles of the great northwest in over 40 years!
        Not too solid . You do know that cars travel around the country and then some. I recently learned that a Studebaker that I owned for nine years is now in Australia.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, that and PEOPLE move around, case in point Tom is no longer in Washington State the last I heard.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sooooo, John. Why did you leave that head gasket out? Actually, it makes you wonder what the guy thought when he had a fairly large, critical part, left over after competing the "rebuild".
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I believe Tom has recently moved back amongst us in the PacNW. Maybe we'll see him at the upcoming Zone Meet?
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Sounds like a severe case of "Transient Dyslexia" to me. The guy wasn't sure he was assembling or dis-assembling. Nor did he have his left from right correct. But there is an "App" for that. Your phone records your motions and if it detects a reversal of proper procedures it sets off a warning sound and send texts to people you designate.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Dwain,
                  When is the PacNW zone meet?

Comment

On Page 28 of your April "Turning Wheels" is the full page Ad for the Pacific Can Am Zone Meet on July 5th. to 7th in Bellingham, WA.

ALSO: On Page 35 there is a Full page Ad saying the PNW Overdrive is: May 25, 26, & 27 in Salmon Arm B.C. Canada.

EVERY month the "What's Happening Column" gives you more advance warning of upcoming SDC Events for about the next YEAR, ALL over the World !
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-27-2019, 05:26 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another goofy engine mishap.

Years ago I was doing inboard boat engine tuneups in a marina in Redondo Beach.
                      It started thru a friend with a boat in that marina, then spread thru word-of mouth.

Anyway, there was this really cool boat. About 28/30 feet long, just a different shape than most. It had a single small Chevy in it. One day, I see two guys taking the heads off of it. At least they were "trying to".
                      I walked by at one point, that they had a 4" x 4" wedged under one head, over the top of the opposite head. Not only were both guys hanging from the 4" x 4" that also had a 2" ratchet strap wrapped around it. Suddenly, the 4-by gave way. IT BROKE..! The head was still firmly attached to the block.

I asked if they had removed the two end fasteners ? "What two end bolts?" "The ones possibly buried in dirty garbage oil at each end of the heads, I said..!"

The removed the four cap screws (two each !), the heads all but fell off..! They were pretty embarrassed. I didn't stop by any more, just waved occasionally..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
                        Gang - A good friend gave me a Thunderbolt 283 that I tore down over the past few days. He said it wasn't running right, when it did run, years ago. I think I found out why.
                        Removed the first head without trouble however when I lifted the second one off the block, there was NO gasket there. ??? I've cleaned both surfaces with degreaser just to be sure.
                        Ever seen something like this? There couldn't be much if any compression on that side of the engine and I found gooey thick oil that resembled lithium grease at the top of the cylinders.

In addition, three of the eight pistons were installed with the stamped numbers facing the wrong way and the first hydraulic lifter had a depression from where it meets the cam.

I plan to take the block, heads, crank, pistons & rods and cam into the machine shop for hot tanking & magnafluxing. Hoping it's not all toast!
                        Good chance there was beer involved. Crack the case after the engine is fired up; during the assembly is going to cause exactly those problems.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X