Weatherstriping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Weatherstriping

I want to replace the Weatherstriping on the doors of my 1962 GT Hawk. Is the Weatherstriping attached to the front of the door or on the cowl? Should the door be removed to make the installation easier?
    Peter Bishop

It is much easier with the door off, but re-installing a door and getting it adjusted just right is a nightmare. Mask the fender and the door post really well. Take a cheap chinese flat tipped screwdriver and bend the tip about 90 degrees.so that it can access the groove the weatherstrip is in. now you can pull it off and clean the groove out. Protect the door and apply adhesive. Q-tips help. Be sure to clean mating surface of weatherstrip with reducer. then poke it in. You can use more masking tape to hold it as you poke it in the groove. When you get it where you want it close the door and leave it overnight. Goo_Gone will clean up any oops--try to do cleanup before glue sets up.

Comment

But is the "tip" that holds the weatherstriping on the door itself or on the cowl (A pillar)?
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
        I want to replace the Weatherstriping on the doors of my 1962 GT Hawk. Is the Weatherstriping attached to the front of the door or on the cowl? Should the door be removed to make the installation easier?
        I would spray the back side of the hinge bolts from inside the fender and use only a #4 Philips. There is no adjustment in the hinge pockets and the only problem is breaking the bolts loose. If the door needs adjustment unbolt behind the door panel and leave the front bolts in. Wish I could help but 2000 mi. is a long ride. Mark Westberg

Comment

Great to hear from you. Your paint work still looks great and I get many compliments. My original question is does the Weatherstriping go on the front edge of the door or on the "A" pillar?
          Peter Bishop

Comment

If you decide to remove the doors, remember that they weigh a ton. It's probably a three man job to remove them, two to hold the door and one to remove the screws. I work alone for any number of reasons so I usually use my HF overhead electric hoist or a chainfall. In a pinch, I've used a 3 ton floor jack but be careful as the door can slip.

No matter how you get it off, if you have a Harborfreight close by, get one of these to hold the door as you install the weatherstripping.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
              My original question is does the Weatherstriping go on the front edge of the door or on the "A" pillar?
              It is on the body.

Comment

Yes that's why I would remove the door. Only use a # 4 bit I bought a box of screws with allen heads if u need any let me know.

Comment

A no 4 impact socket is very difficult to find. I recently bought 2 from Genius Tools. One broke on the 2nd bolt but the other held up.. I would not remove door especially if it opens and closes nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X