Removing rear quarter panel 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Removing rear quarter panel 1966

I got a dent in my driver's side rear quarter panel on my 1966 Cruiser. I know the panel bolts on, but is it that easy to take off or are there any welds to break? Thanks.
    I suppose all the undercoating will make it harder to break away, too. I'm mostly concerned about welds.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

There are no welds. The seam sealer along the edge of the quarter panel in the rear door jamb hold on pretty tenaciously; work a putty knife blade into the joint.

Comment

...and be sure you find ALL of the bolts.
      Thinking mainly of the one(s?) ahead of the trunk hinge, the one behind the plug in the rear door jamb, and the smaller one(s?) that attach the filler block, below the tail light, to the inner trunk wall.

Comment

I agree with all the above, just one other thing, when I removed a quarter panel from a 62 lark there was a locating tab type set up at the top right corner rear door end of panel which necessitated sliding the whole panel slightly forward to disengage it. It was a long time ago but I remember the panel didn't just pull straight off, just something to keep in mind. Cheers Phil

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm not sure if I might be taking it off or someone else, but I'll keep this information handy.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If you just have a dent, why are you removing the fender?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't know it will be necessary. But if it is I wanted to be able to give this information to the person working on it.
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              If you just have a dent, why are you removing the fender?

Comment

It's good that you are not removing it yourself.

Sometimes people think they are helping, or are saving money by doing part of it themselves. Often that makes the situation worse by inadvertently doing something to damage or sabotage the project.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X