1963 Avanti Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1963 Avanti Air Conditioning

I also posted this question on the AOAI Forum, in hopes of getting a fast answer, so I can get this job done. I apologize for the same post in two places, for those of you who are on both forums.

After replacing both leaking valves on the compressor (so no Freon), I am ready to vacuum pump down, and charge up. I am staying with R12, as I have a tank. I know the specs are for fill 3 lbs., and check the sight gauge for bubbles. I bought some Supercool Ester Oil that says compatible with R134a and R12. The question is: How do I tell how much oil to put in, if any?
    I do not want to take all components off, try to dump and see what is in there now.
    Anybody help Please!
    George Rohrbach

there is a fill plug on the side. since the compressor is tilted this may help, I think you want 10 oz.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 08-11-2018, 07:22 PM. Reason: ou want 10m
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Speaking of York compressors.....given a choice, which would be the better purchase of a new unit from T/CCI, or 4-Seasons(Standard Motor Products) I know 4-seasons is made in Mexico, T/CCI I have no clue??
      Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      there is a fill plug on the side. since the compressor is tilted this may help, I think you want 10 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        Speaking of York compressors.....given a choice, which would be the better purchase of a new unit from T/CCI, or 4-Seasons(Standard Motor Products) I know 4-seasons is made in Mexico, T/CCI I have no clue??
        Apples/oranges. Your York is a crankshaft/single piston design. Nothing really wrong with that, but new rotary or swash plate compressors are somewhat more efficient. If you change over, you're going to have to make adapters or new mounting brackets. AFAIK there are no USA built compressors of any kind. China, Mexico, wherever, I wouldn't worry.

If your existing York is in good condition, I'd leave it. If it's roached, you can buy a bolt on rebuilt York or convert to a more modern design.

Comment

Thanks for your input. Since the slow leak that I had was the valves, and not a catastrophic failure that would have blown out a lot of oil with the Freon, I just added 1 oz. The diagram was helpful, but the fill plug is on the side where the mounting is, so no way to get to it, without taking off more than I wanted to, at this point in time.
          If I have any issues, I will take off, and also take off all the other parts for renewal at the same time. But I would probably keep the original York.
          Again thanks.
          George Rohrbach

Comment

Speaking of a leaking valve, I had a strange problem with a customers A/C about 20 years ago. I leak checked his system and refilled it. He came back two days later with an empty system. I rechecked for leaks, and found nothing, so I refilled it again. He came back again in 2 days, and I discovered the last thing I did before sending him away was screw the plastic dust cap on the valve. Well, that damn plastic cap was faulty and the final turn to tighten it would hit the valve and slightly open it.

As far as compressors, I had to replace the original compressors on both my 91 and 99 Olds 88's. I bought them from an outfit in Texas for $95 each delivered to my door and filled with oil. They have been perfect and far outlasted the original GM compressors.

Comment

The compressor on my car is 25 plus years old, oil is leaking out in great amounts...so ordered a new York from 4-seasons....I am keeping the system R12, but swallowed a bit hard when given the price......a bit over $400.00, let me tell you the brackets as engineered by Studebaker for the Avanti are well just say I can't use the words I would like to....and that belt tension-er....what kind of engineering is that POS???
              Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
              Apples/oranges. Your York is a crankshaft/single piston design. Nothing really wrong with that, but new rotary or swash plate compressors are somewhat more efficient. If you change over, you're going to have to make adapters or new mounting brackets. AFAIK there are no USA built compressors of any kind. China, Mexico, wherever, I wouldn't worry.

If your existing York is in good condition, I'd leave it. If it's roached, you can buy a bolt on rebuilt York or convert to a more modern design.

Comment

Thank the lord you do not have to remove it, you will need a lift to get access to some of the bolts....one of which goes through the water manifold/head, I became alarmed when I saw anti-freeze start to drip down the engine, then I saw where it was coming from, when I put the bracket back so went in the bolt, and the leak stopped.
                Originally posted by Georger View Post
                Thanks for your input. Since the slow leak that I had was the valves, and not a catastrophic failure that would have blown out a lot of oil with the Freon, I just added 1 oz. The diagram was helpful, but the fill plug is on the side where the mounting is, so no way to get to it, without taking off more than I wanted to, at this point in time.
                If I have any issues, I will take off, and also take off all the other parts for renewal at the same time. But I would probably keep the original York.
                Again thanks.
                George Rohrbach

Comment

let me tell you the brackets as engineered by Studebaker for the Avanti are well just say I can't use the words I would like to....and that belt tension-er....what kind of engineering is that POS???
                  Thank the lord you do not have to remove it, you will need a lift to get access to some of the bolts....one of which goes through the water manifold/head, I became alarmed when I saw anti-freeze start to drip down the engine, then I saw where it was coming from, when I put the bracket back so went in the bolt, and the leak stopped.
                  Is the bracket for the york compressor on the Avanti wildly different than that of the Hawk? I can't seem to find a pic of one online.

Comment

Not sure about Hawk, but Avanti is a cumbersome 2 piece affair that also supports the altenator.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Back in 1967 the Studebaker dealer in Miami, Florida (Trojan Service Center & Parts)installed the A/C kit in the car....it took the sole owner of the place 5 days to put that system in, as he had to work on it in between all the other work, looking back I am amazed he did that install without a lift, working from the top and below on a creeper...but I do remember his remarks concerning those brackets!
                      Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                      Not sure about Hawk, but Avanti is a cumbersome 2 piece affair that also supports the altenator.

Comment

All the pics I can find of Avanti's with AC have Sanden type compressors on them, but they were mounted in the same place as my Hawk. This is the Hawk bracket. I just cut a big groove in it to clear the water fitting in the water manifold so I could move the heater hose from the rear of the head up to the water manifold where it is on the Lark or the Hawk without AC. This bracket mounts on 3 water manifold bolts, 1 water outlet bolt and 1 oil fill tube bolt. Basically anything they could find. You have to remove the Idler and reach through it's mounting slot to access 2 of the bolts. The alternator adjust arm bolts to the AC compressor bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1721774Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1721775

This is the bracket I carved from angle iron to adapt a Sanden compressor in place of the York one. Note the groove cut out. You can buy a similar bracket for about $50, but a foot of 2" angle a drill and grinder will save that for parts you can't make.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1721776Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1721777Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1721778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1721779

Comment

Ben I like your work!!,,a man named Ed Burris made a device to better adjust the belt on Studebaker Avantis, I wonder who has installed his modified belt adjuster??
                          Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                          All the pics I can find of Avanti's with AC have Sanden type compressors on them, but they were mounted in the same place as my Hawk. This is the Hawk bracket. I just cut a big groove in it to clear the water fitting in the water manifold so I could move the heater hose from the rear of the head up to the water manifold where it is on the Lark or the Hawk without AC. This bracket mounts on 3 water manifold bolts, 1 water outlet bolt and 1 oil fill tube bolt. Basically anything they could find. You have to remove the Idler and reach through it's mounting slot to access 2 of the bolts. The alternator adjust arm bolts to the AC compressor bracket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74797[/ATTACH]

This is the bracket I carved from angle iron to adapt a Sanden compressor in place of the York one. Note the groove cut out. You can buy a similar bracket for about $50, but a foot of 2" angle a drill and grinder will save that for parts you can't make.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]74798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74801[/ATTACH]

Comment

If anybody has pictures of Ed's upgrade, I'd sure like to see.

Ken

Ben I like your work!!,,a man named Ed Burris made a device to better adjust the belt on Studebaker Avantis, I wonder who has installed his modified belt adjuster??

Comment

It is still sitting in the bag I purchased from him, not the easiest device to install....involves cutting the steel bracket somewhat.
                              Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                              If anybody has pictures of Ed's upgrade, I'd sure like to see.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X