Erratic Tach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Erratic Tach.

I replaced my engine on my 1974 Avanti. It came with an HEI distributor. The tach is all over the place. When it gets to a higher RPM it starts to fall. When I accelerate it goes up momentarily and then falls. What the hay. Any suggestions?

Not sure what type of ignition the car came with but if it had points (liklely) and a HEI system was added the tach won't work. The tach can be converted but once again this is $$$$ and it probably won't work any better than it does now. i have found a tach that looks like the original and put it in. Good luck!

Comment

It was a small block 400 with points. I assume it was the original engine. It is currently a 350 with HEI distributor.

Comment

Chuck I had a similar problem with a brand new aftermarket tach in an HEI application. Called the tach company and they had me add in a resistor to the tach wire off the distributor.
        Of course I can't remember the ohms, and it may not be relevant with your tach anyway. But it did solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
          Chuck I had a similar problem with a brand new aftermarket tach in an HEI application. Called the tach company and they had me add in a resistor to the tach wire off the distributor.
          Of course I can't remember the ohms, and it may not be relevant with your tach anyway. But it did solve the problem.
          Thanks, I don't have an aftermarket tach. It is the original tack from the factory. Sense I converted over to the HEI distributor that is when the problem started,

Comment

Jeffery what did you use for a Tac I am waiting for the High Voltage Coil to instal my ready to run billet distributor.The Distributor has a TaC wire on it but with my luck I am sure I will have the same Problem.
            Hawkowner

Comment

So far I have done nothing about getting a new tach. I am trying to figure out how to get the in dash stock tach working properly after converting from a points distributor to a HEI distributor. I have a 1974 Avanti with a in dash tach.

Comment

Chuck, This is an old thread from 2018, but I was wondering if you ever took Michidan’s advise and installed a filter to get you factory tach working or did you go another direction? Thanks
                1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Pretty sure this is what I used when installing fuel injection with electronic distributor in a GT Hawk, which created the same problem with the tach the OP reports: TURRL4SVXJJMSD Tach Adapter Magnetic Trigger #8920

Comment

Probably the same one I used. It is an electronic boat tach, and it fits in the dash and looks like the original except the bezel is grey, not shiny chrome. I'll post the brand if I can find the instructions. I bought from someone on this forum, but can't remember who (maybe Jeff?). I haven't hooked it to an electronic ign. yet, but it works great on the point setup. If I don't hear on the forum that it works on electronic, I'll post when I get it installed. My electronic also has a wire marked tach. so I'm hopeful it'll work.About the bezel, you may be able to use the one off the original tach.? I think I have the same electronic ign. as the one posted here- Jim
                    Last edited by jrlemke; 10-27-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I think the electronic ign. is the same on posted here, about two down from this post. -Jim

Comment

A VDO tach looks a lot like original and SW has one too. The old one can be sent away and updated. Avoid AutoIntstument--they used to be good but my luck lately has been bad (avoid Bob's too)

Comment

Working...
                        X