Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Bearings

An easy one. When did Studebaker switch from babbit to insert bearings?

Originally posted by georgeE View Post
    An easy one. When did Studebaker switch from babbit to insert bearings?
    Is this a trivia question? What do we win if we get it right?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Well I suppose to some it will seem trivial. But I don't know the answer.

Comment

Comment

Only high end engines had insert bearings, the rest got them later. I think about 1927 President 8. Kind of the same with brakes at the time. Most were mechanical and few had hydraulic brakes....... edit: Now I see by the link it was circa 1935...
          Last edited by (S); 02-03-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

1939 and 1940 Studebaker Champion six cylinder engines had babbitted rods. Not sure about the mains.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I don't know which engines had the inserts, but I do recall reading that Studebaker had inserts in the 20's. Can't say if it was just the mains, rods, or both.

Comment

All of the big 336 cu" President straight eights, 1928-33 use babbitted rod and mains. I presume that the other straight eights and sixes through, at least, 1933 also had poured bearings. The last Wise/Roos complete redesign, of the existing line of Studebaker engines, was completed and implemented in 1936, the year Roos left the company. At that time the 250 cu" straight was convert to inserts, on both rod and main bearings. I know that the Dictator/Commander six was redesigned, for insert mains, but retained poured, babbitt rods. I believe that these were the last complete engine, updates until after the war. There were, however, changes made to the coolant distribution system after 1937. Of course the straight didn't survive the war, but I believe, that the fully inserted Commander six appeared in 1947, but it could have been in 1949, when the displacement was increased to 245 cu." Remember there was no Commander chassis used in 1946.

The Champion engine was designed as a brand new "modern" engine, for the 1939 debut. To my knowledge, they always used insert bearings. I really don't know which engines the inquirer had in mind, but I hope his question is closer to having an answer.

Comment

Hallabutt
                  That's pretty much what I was looking for. I have a 50 that is missing the drive train and if I'mgoing to buy a motor I don't want to mess with poured bearings.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    The Champion engine was designed as a brand new "modern" engine, for the 1939 debut. To my knowledge, they always used insert bearings.
                    .............Nope
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I guess then that when the term modern, was bandied about, it didn't include insert bearings, correct?

Comment

Working...
                      X