No announcement yet.

How does a broken clutch facing feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: How does a broken clutch facing feel?

Something is busted in the clutch of my 8E5 truck (suspended pedal mess) . Many times it feels fine and engages correctly, but sometimes it won't completely disengage and lurches and shudders with clunking sounds. The shudder is more violent than normal clutch shudder.

I'll tear it down this weekend, but of course want to know what the heck is going on right now! I'm guessing the facing is coming off the disc, but don't know what that would feel like... it's just what I imagine it must feel like. Has anyone experienced that before?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Could be a broken/weak spring in the pressure plate too, causing it to cock at an angle at times.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Could also be oil in the clutch facing.
      Rob

Comment

Diaphragm clutch in this one(IH Scout), but still could crack I guess, I doubt oil, it cam on very suddenly. Still we shall see.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

for me, mine was hard to put into gear from neutral...also, I actually felt a piece of the lining break off while the clutch pedal was pressed down...it was as if a broken piece of lining got lodged in the clutch and tried to drive the truck forward until it slung it out. This happened several times before we tore it apart....the culprit.....the lining wore so thin that it was breaking off.
          I had a toyota years ago that had rubber pieces instead of springs in the disc. They would shear and get rolled up in the clutch until they slung themselves out . The symptons were about the same as the lining breaking apart.

Comment

That's kinda it. the pedal bounces, sometimes things work OK, other times not. I'm thinking it's shedding itself, but it's in the garage for inspection now

Originally posted by fh4ever View Post
            for me, mine was hard to put into gear from neutral...also, I actually felt a piece of the lining break off while the clutch pedal was pressed down...it was as if a broken piece of lining got lodged in the clutch and tried to drive the truck forward until it slung it out. This happened several times before we tore it apart....the culprit.....the lining wore so thin that it was breaking off.
            I had a toyota years ago that had rubber pieces instead of springs in the disc. They would shear and get rolled up in the clutch until they slung themselves out . The symptons were about the same as the lining breaking apart.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Your Champ is just mad at you for bringing another project home. Send that old Avanti to me and your clutch problems will be solved!
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

It seems the funky suspended pedal set up is at fault, the operating shaft is popping out of the outboard support. The PO reinforced this 30 some years ago, but must have done a shoddy job of it to fail already
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Putting out an APB for a clutch operating shaft support bracket for a 63 or 64 Champ, p/n 1552540. Mine is cracked beyond reasonable repair.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X