No announcement yet.

need a fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This month I had the Carter pump in the Packard Hawk repaired at a local shop with a kit supplied by Dave Thiebault. Seems to be fine. Cores for these special pumps for the '57-'58 supercharged models are tough to find. Learned from Dave that electric pumps aren't a good option for these engines. Fuel pressure settings high enough to deliver fuel when the carb is pressurized will flood the Stromberg when it isn't.

Quick turnaround in the shop, no shipping of a core.
    Last edited by riversidevw; 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I used the Now and Then rebuild kit on my Carter. It is working great at this point, but not a lot of miles yet.

Comment

I hate to play devils advocate especially on this forum but my NAPA sold "carter" Airtex has been happily feeding the Edelbrock 4 barrel carb for the last six or seven years without a hint of a leak. We have went over this before but one more time...the secret is before the pump is used rough up the area around the pin with coarse sandpaper and apply a liberal coat of JB Weld and let it set for 48 hours before subjecting it to gasoline. If mine is any example it will never leak oil or gas around the pin.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
          If mine is any example it will never leak oil or gas around the pin.
          I can understand if it leaked oil, but if it leaked gas, that would indicate a significant problem and most likely the crankcase oil would get diluted. Not a good thing.

Has anyone found these pumps to be leaking gas through the pivot pin hole?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Roy...see post #29.

Comment

The only way fuel can get to the pivot pin is if the diaphragm fails (and then get past the oil seal). Airtex used to get their diaphragm cloth (2 layers of rubber impregnated around a polyester cloth) from a company in Wisconsin. They were bought out by Fruedenberg-nok who closed the plant & moved the production to somewhere else.....who knows what the quality is these days. We used to do fuel soak tests on every batch of rubber that came in & wouldn't allow it into production until the tests were complete.
              Mike Sal

Comment

Fuel pumps were one of those things we never had much trouble with way back before some moron bureaucrat with a sociology BA decided he knew more about making gasoline than Sunoco (God, I miss their 260!) You cannot buy a decent mechanical pump anymore. If we travel in a Studebaker we like having an electric backup. We have used it! Have the old mechanical pump rebuilt( Terrel Machine in Texas or ask Chuck Collins, Studebaker parts on-line) Be sure to install a filter on the tank side of the electric pump. Congrats on the trophy

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
                  Why not install one of the modified real Carter fuel pumps that David Tribeault or Phil Harris (Fairborn Studebaker) sell. The pump is made for a Chrysler product and they rebend the arm so it is like a Studebaker pump. No oil leaking out of the pivot pin.
                  Ron
                  I second this~! You could also try to find an original pump from one of us who saves old rebuildable parts and have it rebuilt with an alcohol resistant diaphram. No modern or repro junk~! You would be good for another 20 years.

Comment

Hi, so I have a 61 Lark with the OHV 6. It's kind of a barn find but does run but the fuel pump is toast. I've been looking at replacements and they're as much as the rebuild kit if not more. I'd rebuild it but I don't know how to separate the lever from the bottom of the pump and how to separate the 2 middle pieces with the valves.
                    I'm thinking of putting in an electric fuel pump as a cheap way to try to get it at least running. Any recommendations of what electric pump to use and what yo do?
                    Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post
                      Hi, so I have a 61 Lark with the OHV 6. It's kind of a barn find but does run but the fuel pump is toast. I've been looking at replacements and they're as much as the rebuild kit if not more. I'd rebuild it but I don't know how to separate the lever from the bottom of the pump and how to separate the 2 middle pieces with the valves.
                      I'm thinking of putting in an electric fuel pump as a cheap way to try to get it at least running. Any recommendations of what electric pump to use and what yo do?
                      Thanks everybody!
                      im with you on that ... ive had 2 x Carter M2211 's know nothing about tweaking the arm ? which ive heard of done .. not happy about that anyway .. both Carters didnt even bother reaching the cam lobe ---

am considering a Facet FEP12SV or a Holley Blue PART# 12-812-1 but have heard they are quite noisey

Comment

Originally posted by 23 cratae View Post

I'm with you on that ... I've had 2 x Carter M2211 's know nothing about tweaking the arm ? which I've heard of done .. not happy about that anyway .. both Carters didn't even bother reaching the cam lobe
                        Am considering a Facet FEP12SV or a Holley Blue PART# 12-812-1 but have heard they are quite noisy
                        There is no Modification to be done to the "Arm" of a Airtex Pump or a Carter, Master, NAPA or whatever, that is an AC copy made by Airtex: M2211, 2227 etc.

If you purchase a Real Carter Super Pump from a Studebaker Vendor you get the BEST and never do anything except Bolt it on.
                        It will already be modified to Fit.

However, on C and K Models especially 1962 and Older, there will probably be some modification required to the corner of the Left Engine Mount Bracket for Fuel Pump Clearance, they have a much larger Diaphragm area.

That is because the Factory only used the Original version of this same Carter Super Pump on '63 and '64 Jet Thrust, Jet Thrust Supercharged Larks, Hawks and Avantis and the Frame Bracket on Hawks was Factory Modified.

I would NEVER run an Electric Pump, unless it was the LAST resort to get home and do it right.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2020, 12:08 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

There is no Modification to be done to the "Arm" of a Airtex Pump or a Carter, Master, NAPA or whatever, that is an AC copy made by Airtex: M2211, 2227 etc.

If you purchase a Real Carter Super Pump from a Studebaker Vendor you get the BEST and never do anything except Bolt it on.
                          It will already be modified to Fit.

However, on C and K Models especially 1962 and Older, there will probably be some modification required to the corner of the Left Engine Mount Bracket for Fuel Pump Clearance, they have a much larger Diaphragm area.

That is because the Factory only used the Original version of this same Carter Super Pump on '63 and '64 Jet Thrust, Jet Thrust Supercharged Larks, Hawks and Avantis and the Frame Bracket on Hawks was Factory Modified.

I would NEVER run an Electric Pump, unless it was the LAST resort to get home and do it right.
                          Rich, we are on different sides of the fence here. I have ran only electric pumps since the late 1980s, and would only use a mechanical pump as a last resort, to limp the car home. LOL

Comment

The least expensive way to get fuel to the engine is gravity. Just mount the tank on the roof, and run a line down the A pillar to the carb. If you're low on fuel, you may have to back up a very steep hill to keep it flowing. LOL Seen this done on a few red neck rigs in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                              The least expensive way to get fuel to the engine is gravity. Just mount the tank on the roof, and run a line down the A pillar to the carb. If you're low on fuel, you may have to back up a very steep hill to keep it flowing. LOL Seen this done on a few red neck rigs in my life.
                              if i hadnt had a hernia op last week id be doing this today !!! hahahahha

Comment

Working...
                              X