need a fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: need a fuel pump

Won a trophy Saturday...but didn't make it home. Never had vapor lock. Got gas, started, ran just long enough to get on the road & died. Coasted to a side street. Disconnected fuel line before filter (top of engine)...line was dry. Cranked and got no gas. Pretty sure it is a bad fuel pump. 1957 Silverhawk, original 289 engine. Is there a Napa (or other parts house) off-the-shelf fuel pump that will fit?

Thanks for the help.
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

Yes they sell Carters on EBay for your 289 Studebaker, I just ordered one to replace the rattling Airtex I just had for a month. To my suprise, the Carter is identical to the Airtex! Also O'Reilly's has them, NAPA does not.

Comment

No surprise, the Carter pumps nowadays are re boxed Airtex pumps. I will say, as a parts dealer, the current supply of Airtex pumps seem to be much better than they had been. Beginning in around 2008, I would not stock or sell Airtex fuel pumps - too many returns for not working. I would stock and sell Carter pumps, which were re boxed - maybe Blackstone? - but they usually performed fine. Then, a couple of years ago, I noticed the "Carter" pumps were actually Airtex. But again, they were performing better. Since it costs me more to buy an Airtex pump in a Carter box, I just buy Airtex pumps now.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I thought those Carters may really be Airtex in disguise

Comment

Congratulations on the trophy, BTW.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Ratrods View Post
            Yes they sell Carters on EBay for your 289 Studebaker, I just ordered one to replace the rattling Airtex I just had for a month. To my suprise, the Carter is identical to the Airtex! Also O'Reilly's has them, NAPA does not.
            O'Rileys will actually look for Studebaker parts? Their eyes don't glass over and then they tell you they don't have foreign car parts? Have things changed that much for the better in recent years? That would actually be nice.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes, I ordered a Airtex through O'Reilly's and I had it within hours. NAPA has nothing for Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                O'Rileys will actually look for Studebaker parts? Their eyes don't glass over and then they tell you they don't have foreign car parts? Have things changed that much for the better in recent years? That would actually be nice.
                No glassed over eyes, just their regular blank looks. It's been decades since I've encountered a sales person in an auto store who had any clue about cars. They just type a name, whatever it may be, Studebaker, Chevy, Nissan..etc, into the computer as though it were a video game and parrot back to you whatever the computer tells them.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I called the "local" OReilly's (45 minutes away in Glasgow, KY) and the counter guy told me the only thing showing was an electric fuel pump for that car. If I understand it correctly, the electric fuel pump would need a pressure regulator...but it is on the shelf and $46.99. I would rather install a mechanical pump. Would anyone happen to have the part number so I can call them back?
                  Ray Stewart SDC
                  51 pick-up
                  57 silver hawk
                  62 lark

Comment

Why not install one of the modified real Carter fuel pumps that David Tribeault or Phil Harris (Fairborn Studebaker) sell. The pump is made for a Chrysler product and they rebend the arm so it is like a Studebaker pump. No oil leaking out of the pivot pin.
                    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Some O'Reillys actually have real parts guys, although they are getting less and less. The O'Reilly's in my town was a independent parts dealer for years that I dealt with, then went to an O'Reillys. The original guys that worked the counters at the 'independent' store are really good, but the kids they are hiring aren't hitting on much.

Doesn't really matter to me, with O'Reillys, Autozone, Advance Auto, and NAPA all having online search capabilities (some better than others), I'm armed with the part numbers when I go in.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Some parts stores are known to use RockAuto as a part number guide. Seems to be a good reference for most Studebaker parts, although they are somewhat confusing on their brake parts listings.

Comment

You need carter m2211 readily available at summit etc.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m2211

Carter Mechanical Fuel Pumps M2211

• Click to Enlarge Image

$49.97

• Fast Shipping
                            • Low Price Guarantee

• Tech Advice
                            • Easy Returns

Write the First Review

Fuel Pump, Mechanical, Studebaker, 259, 289, Each
                            Estimated Ship Date: 7/5/2017 (if ordered today)Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you have the original pump that came on the car, you can rebuild it with a kit from "Then and Now Automotive".
                              I had never rebuilt a fuel pump, but their instructions were very good and the replacement parts are compatible with the stuff they sell as gasoline now.
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X