Rear engine mounts on 57 Golden hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rear engine mounts on 57 Golden hawk

I mistakenly added this post to the wrong thread so I am re-posting it here.

I have a 59 Golden Hawk with a Flight-o-Matic transmission, which has the same 532427 1/2" spacer. Apparently I wasn't paying close enough attention when removing the engine so I researched where the spacer was supposed to go for reinstalling the engine/transmission. What I don't understand is why there would be a spacer on the left rear but not on the left front. It seems that the engine would try to be twisted. It also puzzles me that the rear holes on the rear bell housing cross-member, which the Shop Manual says to use on AD cars, are higher on the right than the left which would seem to counteract the purpose of the spacer on the left. I also don't understand why a round 532427 spacer would be used on a rectangular 1539942 insulator when the parts book lists a square 287685 1/4" spacer and you could use two of those. It doesn't say how large the square ones are so maybe that is why? I am apparently not visualizing the situation correctly. Could someone try to straighten me out?

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Joe!

OK, first: you have a '57 Golden Hawk (per Title) AND a '59 [Silver Hawk there were no '59 GH's] (per Text)?

I do not know the Science behind all this other than getting the proper Engine clearance from the Steering Gear, I just know your Car sounds to me like it is Factory Correct, so do not change anything.

A round Spacer will support the square Pad on the rear Engine Mount just fine.

The ONLY thing you should be paying attention to on this Engine Mount replacement project is that a Left Hand Drive Car gets both it's Front and Rear Engine Mounts in the RIGHT Hand set of Holes in the Frame.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Studerich. It is a 57. My fingers don't always obey my brain.

Comment

Working...
      X